Cambodian Happy pizza

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodian Happy pizza Phnom Penh Reviews

korrahh korrahh
Jun 11, 2006
In every country I go to I try to sample some local cuisine. On one particular night on the banks of the Mekong River I was feeling the urge for some grub. In street market they were selling some real grubs and insects dried and fried. I didn’t feel that adventurous so I opted for a pizza in a clean downtown café, little I know what adventure that would be.

Izzy, Shelly (a Singaporean) and I looked at the menu and saw the label “happy” on many of the pizzas. I’ve never seen this before so I asked the waiter what it was all about. “Oh..it’s real good Cambodia special make you very happy.” He was beaming himself so I took his word for it. “Ok why not? I’ll have one.” I’m always ready to try new things. “You want happy or very happy?” he asked “uh.. sure lets go all out..very happy. And a beer please” I didn’t know the difference anyway. I thought it would be something rather plain but kind of dodgy, like fugu (blowfish) or something. What we got was a very normal pizza with extra dry green stuff on it. “What is that anyway? I wouldn’t try it.” Shelly said in a stuck-up way “oh come-on it’s not gonna kill us.” I tucked in and it tasted totally normal. We drank beers and joked around a bit. Shelly went on and on about her trip to Halong Bay and all the nights she got “wasted” with those cool Aussie dudes. I was imagining this short Chinese girl dancing on the table with a bunch of red faced gap year kids “whoo hooing” her on. Maybe she wasn’t such a snob after all. We talked some Chinese and she went on about her patriotism for China. “If you love the ‘Motherland’ so much why don’t you reunify like Hong Kong?” I asked rhetorically. This was getting boring and I wasn’t feeling very happy, “must be some false advertising” I thought, so I went home.

Back home we ate slabs of beef with knives and drank a glass of pastisse. I don’t know exactly when it happened but sometime in the night things started getting strange. Izzy had just told a stupid story and was laughing and laughing and laughing about it. He didn’t stop and I thought that was weird till I realized I was laughing nonstop as well. All the while the music from Arnies room, some ridiculous form of opera, was getting louder and Louder and LOUDER. “No way! This is not happening!” I thought. It was just getting unreal, my vision was blurry and my head felt like a swirling cloud. “I can’t believe I’m getting high on a food!” I was trying to clear the dishes but this took all my powers of concentration as I was blanking out every couple of minutes. Everything seemed to be in slow motion, I don’t know if I was happy or not but I was laughing like a fool.

The next morning I was still coming around, it was that powerful, I was very relaxed no headache or bad side effects. I don’t know for sure what that stuff was but its not illegal as its sold openly on the main streets to normal citizens. I’m not into illicit substance abuse, harmful activities, or anything in excess (such as overeating or overdrinking) but this was just one rather harmless if not interesting taste of Cambodia.
CakeAndCastles says:
Anything sold 'happy' in cambodia comes with extra weed (marajuana)... Apparently it's illegal to smoke it but totally OK to use as a 'garnish'!
Posted on: Feb 02, 2012
ctjevans says:
hahaha, that was a great story! thanks for sharing it. :-D
Posted on: Dec 31, 2007
milltownmeadow says:
That was funny, I will be in PP next week myself I must look out for this one!
Take care and Happy New Year :-) or should it be very Happy New Year!
Posted on: Dec 31, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Cambodian Happy pizza

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Phnom Penh, another moto ride back to Number 10 where we get a room all 3 of us for $4 a night. We head back to ‘happy herbs’ pizza

Check Phnom Penh Hotel Deals