Cambodia

Thailand

Cambodia Reviews

mushedupcloud mushedup…
Warning: Travelling To Cambodia from thailand to border city 'poipet' Apr 29, 2011
I stayed with my girlfriend in Thailand border city the night before travelling to Poipet in Cambodia.

In the morning we took a tuk-tuk to the border and they took us to a fake entrance! There was a huge sign 'Welcome to Cambodia' and I bug house we was to told to enter and buy visa! There were many guys smartly dressed hurrying us to the building and it seemed like a very organised scam. Just demand the driver to take you to Cambodia and you will see more people trying to sell you a visa but don't get anything until you have fully left Thailand.

Also once in Poipet, getting to Siam reap was a challenge as well! Buses were asking a lot of money so we ended up getting into a car of a stranger and paying still too much for the ride, but cheaper than taking a bus!

Hope this helps!!!
cosmopaulatin cosmopau…
"Cambodia" Oct 20, 2008
I had an amazing experience in Cambodia back In June this year. Phnom Penh is very frenetic, traffic coming at you from all angles (you jus sort of have to go for it and wish for the best)but the choice of restos, bars & things to keep you busy are plenty. Royal Palace is beautiful as is the National museum, everyone hangs out along the river during sunset & you can go hire a tuk tuk for about a dollar anywhere. I highly recommend Villa Langka (very serene pool & you can hear the monks chanting in the morning at Wat Langka), great pool too! I wasn't too impressed with Anise hotel, the ac wasn't quite as good as I hoped. My favorite hotel was definitely the new chic n contemporary sister property of FCC: The Quay. Boutique hotel of 5 floors, spacious room, excellent breakfast & accomodating staff. I never got to check out the rooftop bar (or jacuzzi!) but it was always happening every nite! Chow, their restaurant is also delicious...a bit on the expensive side IMO.

The highligt would have to go to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. It is as grandeur as everyone says, I took an early morning hot air balloon ($3) during sunrise & was rewarded with beautiful views of the temples and surrounding views of mountains & villages nearby. A must do is a hike up to Bakeng Hill for an unforgettable sunset...crowded but totally worth it. Be careful as you have to be able to climb up the temple with our without rails. I stayed at a beautiful new boutique hotel called Hotel Be, on the Passage. Martin & his staff are so sweet & will make you feel like a special guest (fresh flowers & fruit in the morning). No pool but you can relax on your own deck at the top with drinks ;) A dozen restos in this area, and plenty of shopping as well...they close the streets to allow only pedestrians, which I thought very chic! One of the most spiritual places I've been to.I loved the internationl-boho-chic feel of Siem Reap & am returning Jan!!

If you want to spend a few days relaxing, I recommend driving down to the southern coast & staying at Independance beach hotel. Brand new, staff still not quite up to par with a 5 star property, but for the price, who cares? Food at resto isn't too tasty (bland) but I think that's because they cater to tourists & not locals. Excellent hawkers who will cook or grill seafood right in front of you.
Getting blessed by a monk
Quay hotel room
Room service from Chow
ScottinKabul says:
Great review! I may have a few questions the closer I get to my travel date.
Posted on: Aug 19, 2010