Calle los Geranios

Calle los Geranios - Los Geranios

Calle los Geranios Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Excellent dinner and a super view! Oct 25, 2012
A couple of days after our disappointing meal at La Primera Casa we decided to return to La Ronda to try dinner elsewhere – partly because it was a wet evening and it wasn’t too far to walk from the hotel, and partly because I had read good reviews of Los Geranios. It proved to be a much better choice as far as the food was concerned, and it would be unfair to mark it down for the lack of atmosphere (we were the only people here for most of our meal though one other couple arrived towards the end) as a rainy Monday evening in October is not the time to find La Ronda at its liveliest. I would certainly eat here again if I were in Quito.

The restaurant is situated on the first floor (second for US readers) of one of the traditional old houses at the lower end of the street. You enter through the courtyard and climb the outside stone steps to reach the entrance off another pretty courtyard. There you will find a welcoming bar area, with the restaurant seating beyond, overlooking the street. Had there been any action we would have had a great view of it from our window table! As it was, we enjoyed the sight of the Virgin on El Panecillo illuminated and shining through the swirling clouds.

As so often on this trip we decided to start by sharing a plate of empanadas, which were very good. I then had a very generous main course plate of chicken cooked Cordon Bleu style and served in what was described as Andean sauce. I had no idea what to expect of the latter, but it was delicious, as were the little potatoes that accompanied the dish (though there were far too many of these for me to clear my plate!) Chris had the llapingachos with chorizo-style sausages, fried egg and avocado, which he likewise enjoyed. With a small Club beer each we paid $30 for one of the best meals we had in Quito. It was just a shame there weren’t more people there also enjoying this place, as we might then have lingered longer in the attractive bar.
Los Geranios