Caliphate Baths

Cordoba, Spain

Caliphate Baths Cordoba Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Caliphate Baths Oct 13, 2011
The ruins of the bath house of the Caliphate are interesting, although the trip will not take you very long and the 2 euro entry fee is about the most I would pay. There is a good video about the importance of bathing to the culture of Muslim Spain, and although I think it could have gone into a little more detail about the social and religious aspects of bathing, not everyone is as big a nerd as me so I suppose they didn’t want to make the film too long. The video is screened in Spanish or English. The ruins themselves are interesting, although it is hard to fully appreciate them if you do not speak Spanish well as a lot of the displays are things like recordings of imaginary conversations with the Caliph. I am sure that if you speak better Spanish than me it is more interesting. The signs are bilingual, however, so you still get to appreciate what things are.

The ruins themselves include fragments of plasterwork and flooring, and a good impression of the hypocaust (under floor central heating) and boiler housing. I think in normal circumstances I would have been very impressed with this, but as I had been spoiled rotten with all the amazing architectural details on the palaces, it was a tad underwhelming. I would recommend a short visit here if you are interested in archaeology, or are short of cash. But if you have some money to burn you’ll get a much better impression of a Caliphate era bath house from the nearby reconstructed Hammam al Andalus – the video in the Caliphate bath house is actually film of the modern reconstruction.
davidx says:
This is something I Missed in one of my favourite cities anywhere but it does not seem to be Cordoba's best.
Posted on: Dec 12, 2011