California’s Exact Center

none - none

California’s Exact Center North Fork Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Only someone as strange as I would even consider going here. Jun 09, 2011
I don’t know if all of the states do this kind of thing but then California is, well, California. Certainly not just a rectangular box like Colorado or Wyoming and bigger than most, but back in 1996 someone decided that with all the advances in satellite technology we could pinpoint the exact center of the state and place a plaque where it was located. I’m just so happy that it isn’t sitting on the roof of my home or under six inches of new asphalt on one of our wonderful freeways. We had stopped at a small gas station and convenience store on the south edge of North Fork trying to get directions to Globe Rock, which is maybe 35 miles further north west and a delivery driver suggested we could easily see the plaque denoting the center of the state only about five miles from where we were. Well, I couldn’t pass up a chance like that and followed his directions almost to a tea and never did see what I was looking for. So I stopped to ask an elderly gentleman in his front yard and he pointed on east another two miles and then take a right turn near the small trailer park. Drive down that road about a half mile to find the marker. We did as he said and still didn’t see it. We asked a truck coming up the narrow road and although he claimed to have been brought up right here, he had no clue. Then another truck came down the hill behind us and told us it was still nearly two miles on down the road on the left side. We would see the steps up to it on the left. As you can tell, it is kinda out in the middle of no-where so our worries were nothing. We parked in the little double parking gravel area and made our way up to the marker. Can you believe that California State University of Fresno went through all this effort, poured several bags on concrete and put up a bronze plaque to show the spot? Hey, if you are really into unusual out of the way places and have nothing better to do, this is one of those places that right up your alley. I felt it was worth the minor amount of gas it took me to go the six or eight miles out of the way to see it and take a couple of pictures. And the admission price was right…. Free!!!
X_Drive says:
I only know for sure of the Four Corners special location where four states intersct. But did see that the state of Georgia has one too!! :)
Posted on: Jun 17, 2011
spocklogic says:
That's interesting. It's a good point you raise at the beginning - I wonder if all states have such a marker?
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
Hummingbird says:
Leave it to my hubby to find this out of the way spot! :)
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011

Compare Bass Lake Hotel Rates (11.7km away)

North Fork Map