California Poppy Reserve
15101 Lancaster Road, Lancaster, CA, USA
California Poppy Reserve Lancaster Reviews
California Poppy Reserve May 03, 2010
When making a trip to Southern California, Lancaster is probably not on the top 10 list of cities to visit. However, Lancaster is the home for the California Poppy Reserve, a hidden gem about an hour and a half drive outside of Los Angeles.
Because of the rain in Southern California this past season, I knew that the wildflowers would be in full bloom. I wasn’t disappointed. The California state flower blankets the hillsides in rich orange, yellow and gold and can be seen for miles and miles. Besides the poppy, other patches of wildflowers are also in bloom and give a wonderful contrast in colors. It’s impossible to describe, you’ll just have to see for yourself.
There are about 10 miles of trails and you’ll be able to see the whole reserve in 4 hours (and that’s at a leisurely pace). Benches are strategically placed along the trail for the best views of the flowers and hillsides. The trails are very well marked and getting lost is almost impossible. There is a visitor center that explains the reserve, the environment and the wildlife found there. It also provides a cool place to escape the sun, heat and wind.
A few things to remember before making the trip to the reserve:
1. Get there early or suffer through the line of cars trying to enter the park. When I left at noon, the line of cars was more than 40 deep (I stopped counting at 40).
2. There is no shade so don’t forget sunscreen and hat and bring plenty of water.
3. Check the weather because if it’s cold or windy, the flowers tend to close up.
4. Bring $8 with you because it costs that much to park in the lot.
5. If you want to know the status of the poppies, ie. how far in bloom they are, you can call the poppy reserve wildflower hotline at (661)724-1180 for updated recorded messages.
8 / 8 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Related Travel Blogs About California Poppy Reserve
some flowers just bloom dead|
"some flowers just bloom dead...." quoting the my favorite Wallflowers song "some flowers bloom dead". =DMay 8th, 2010: For Mother's day i thought about what gifts to give her but i couldn't come up …Poppy Reserve in Lancaster instead. that's what i love about California. we have the desert, the mountains, hillsides, and my favorite…