Calico Ghost Town

(760) 254-2122

Calico Ghost Town Yermo Reviews

cimtech cimtech
Calico Ghost Town Trip Jun 29, 2014
Sunday morning need to drive back to Los Angeles from Las Vegas. No problem for me getting up very early in the morning even I am in a place like Vegas. Checked out of the hotel and fill up the car and heading towards LA. Taking Route 15 south, my plan was to sit back behind the wheel and enjoy the drive with a cruse control set to 80 atleast and make few stops in between like Mojave National Preserve and death valley. I was tired of seeing the sing called “Peggy Sue’s 50’s Dinner sign” so decided to stop there first before i head towards Calico Ghost Town. I wanted to have my breakfast there but looking at the waiting time decided to skip it.

Still the cost to get in is no longer $ 6:00 but it's now $8:00 (US) per person. When I arrived at the Calico Ghost Town it was only 9:00 am, they just opened their gate to the public, so probable I was the first visitor there. It was an advantage for me as I planned to take as many pictures as possible and also look around to explore things I always wanted to see. I spent handsome walking through the town and tried to visualize what it looked like 100+ years ago.

Nearly 127 years ago, the town of Calico was bustling with prospectors searching for it's mineral riches. Silver was king here and the Calico Mining district became one of the richest in the state. This town population was of 1200 with 22 saloons, China town and a red light district. But when Silver prices dropped significantly, Calico became a ghost town.

Today, Calico is one of the few remaining original mining towns of the western United States. I really enjoyed the place including the early morning dry and cool weather, and beautiful view from the hill top.
View of the Ghost town very early …
About to enter the Ghost town !
At the gate !
Inside the town
cimtech says:
Thank you May, appreciate you like the review, never been to "Bodie State Park" but just checked it online, very interesting. Will visit next time I am in CA. Thanks for the info.
Posted on: Jun 30, 2014
cimtech says:
wow Roger, 40 years ago visiting this place is absolutely a great experience !!
Posted on: Jun 30, 2014
X_Drive says:
They have added so much from what I remembered back 40 years ago. :D
Posted on: Jun 29, 2014
electricapples electric…
Something to do on I-15 Mar 09, 2009
The drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles is a long, boring trip through the desert. There isn't anything to see, and not many places to stop. Just outside Barstow, is a town called Yermo, where Calico Ghost Town is located. It isn't too far from the interstate. It's worth a stop if you're bored and want something to do. It costs $6(USD) a person to get in. There are different prices for children and such. The ghost town is an old mining town that has been restored to look like it did when people lived there. It's a neat place to walk around. Each building has something to do, whether it's a museum or a store you can shop in, and there's a restaurant too. And there's even a photo studio where you can take one of those old western photos (you can see ours in the travel blog).

The town is located in the desert. When we were there, we had to deal with 50mph winds. Just a word of warning.

Check Yermo Hotel Deals