Calf of Man

Calf of Man, Calf of Man, Isle of Man

Calf of Man Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Stunning beauty Jun 11, 2011
It was one of the most beautiful views I had seen in long time; I was sitting on a bench and the end of the road watching the island Calf of Man from the most southern point on the main island of Isle of Man. It was colder than I had anticipated but the light was great so I just had to wait for the right moment to take some picture and the view was so stunning that I had no wish to leave.

I was sitting there looking at the Calf of Man in the beautiful evening sun and I had been on Isle of Man less than 2 hours; it was awesome to find a view that I would treasure for the rest of my life so fast.

The little island is only 250-hectare and situated off the southwest coast of the Isle of Man. It is separated from the Isle of Man by a narrow stretch of water called the Calf Sound where the tide is making some fabulous drawing on the water. Between the Isle of Man and the Calf is the islet of Kitterland, while the islets of Yn Burroo and The Stack lie close to the Calf's shore. Almost a mile southwest of the Calf is Chicken Rock, the most southerly part of the Isle of Man's territory.

The small rock of an island has two seasonal inhabitants; my guess is that they must feel pretty alone out there with all the birds and the wind blowing over the raw cliff all the time. Calf of Man is home to a breeding population of Manx Shearwaters, a seabird that derives its name from its presence in Manx waters.

The word 'calf' goes back to the old Viking word; kalfr, which means a small island lying near a larger one. Until 1939 the island was under private ownership by the Keig family, when the island was donated to the National Trust to become a bird sanctuary. In 1951 the Manx National Trust was established, which became Manx National Heritage.

The island has been a bird observatory since 1962 and welcomes visits from volunteers and ornithologists. The observatory is able to accommodate up to eight visitors in basic self-catering accommodation, which can be booked through Manx National Heritage. It is possible to reach the Calf of Man by boat from both Port Erin and Port St Mary. Cow Harbour and South Harbour are the main landing places.

The Calf of Man currently boasts the world's highest density of lighthouses: two lighthouses were built in 1818 by Robert Stevenson to warn mariners of the hazards of the Chicken Rocks off the south end of the Calf. These were replaced in 1875 by a lighthouse built on the Chicken Rocks themselves. In 1968, a third lighthouse was built on the Calf after a severe fire destroyed the Chicken Rocks light but it was later rebuilt again.
Looking towards Calf of Man
Chokk says:
It was truly stunning, I was amazed by the beauty of this island
Posted on: Jun 24, 2011
davidx says:
Good to hear of somebody else who is captivaed by IoM without mention of TT races!
Posted on: Jun 24, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Calf of Man

Looking a stunning beauty
When I flew towards the Isle of Man Airport and when we approached the airport for the first time I was looking out the window of the plane as we came in over the island. To my luck the weather was b…Man less than two hours later looking at Calf of Man's stunning beauty. After I had rented…
Getting a look at the stunning nature
I was finally able to get to the south part of the island. The roads had been blocked by the race and I had a clear goal to head for Calf of Man that i had seen from the air while I was flying into t…Calf of Man that i had seen from the air while I was flying into the Isle of Man airport…
Cronk ny Arrey Laa a.k.a. Hill of the Day Watch
It was my first evening on Isle of Man and little did I know that it was going to be my first and last sunset I was able to follow because the rest of my stay was under clouds and sometimes in rain. …Calf of Man, Port Erin, Surby and ending up in Cronk ny Arrey Laa also known as Hill…

Compare Port Erin Hotel Rates (5.6km away)

Calf of Man Map