Caledonian Waldorf Astoria

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals

Caledonian Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Caledonian Waldorf Astoria Feb 23, 2013
The Caledonian Waldorf Astoria is one of the two historic railway hotels in Edinburgh, and a very prominent red-sandstone building at the west end of Princes street. A long established hotel, it has been recently converted from a normal Hilton to a Waldorf, including a refit of all the public areas on the ground floor.

The Caledonian has many listed features, including its ballroom, which has some amazing decoration from the 1910s, and the upstairs dining rooms. The new features include a central atrium bar, which was a garden until recently; it has been roofed over to form “peacock alley.” There is a bistro there now, which we didn’t try, replacing the old cosy whisky bar (which I think is a real loss, personally, as the bar is now a pretty much standard business hotel lobby, rather than the cosier and more unique bar they lost, but I can see it’s more attractive to business travellers how it is now). That said, the peacock alley area is very light and pleasant, and they have retained the nice lounge at the bottom of the grand stairs.

The room we stayed in was an upgrade, which I think was because we were there for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is now very much more expensive than when we married there, but all the rooms are lovely. Our upgraded room was huge and had a fantastic view over to Edinburgh Castle, which was just great. There were nice toiletries too. Guests can use the swimming pool, sauna and steam room and fitness rooms – I had to leave the sauna because it was too hot for me, which is probably a good sign.

The location is right at the end of Princes Street, so very close to both the major stations, the airport bus stops and Princes and Rose streets, and about ten minutes’ walk from the castle and Grassmarket in one direction, and the new town in the other. It’s also close to several of the major theatres and all the bus stops. The service is absolutely excellent – it’s the sort of hotel where they will lend you cufflinks if you forget yours, and where there’s a proper concierge.

Of course, it’s also incredibly expensive. I wouldn’t have splashed out on it if it wasn’t my first wedding anniversary and we hadn’t got married there when it was a bit cheaper. I’m rarely in the market for such a lavish hotel. But if you are, or if Expedia has a great deal on, then this is a real treat and I loved staying there.
Grand staircase
Edinburgh Castle from just outside…
View from my room