Caledonian Backpackers

Caledonian Backpackers Rates and Deals

Caledonian Backpackers Edinburgh Reviews

phototobi phototobi
Caledonian Backpackers Jul 03, 2011
This is one of the best hostels I stayed in.

I had a 4 bed room, which was pretty quiet. The rooms have lockers, big enough to fit a backpack and a daypack in.

The hostel has a lounge with games and a bar.

(They also offer Internet-Notebooks for free and have a movies room, haven't used both).

The only downside is that the whole floor had only two showers. It wasn't crowded at the time I visited Edinburgh, so it was OK for my visit.

The hostel is located near the city centre.
annthansten annthans…
Best Common Room Jul 14, 2010
The Caledonian Backpackers are located right next to the park in central Edinburgh. The entrance looks so fancy that I almost missed it, had it not been for the sign outside. The inside was just like any other hostel, colourful, with cool murals, and lots of information on the walls.

The beds were regular hostel bunks, including the plastic mattress covers, but i slept very well. And the lockers were big enough for all my stuff. Only downside being that my padlock was too narrow to lock it properly, but i guess I can't really blame the hostel for that...

The main attraction of this hostel is the big bar, complete with playstation and pool tables.

I'd expected the bar to get really loud at night, but it wasn't, it was just nice and relaxed. It seemed like the majority of the people in the bar were there for a relaxing beer, to play pool and talk to new people, or maybe a beer or two before hitting the pubs.

It was a good place for sober people too, which is always a plus in my book.

Breakfast was included in the price, regular continental hostel food, but they had a better selection of jams and spreads than most other hostels I've been to. And they had vegemite! woohoo!

All in all it's definitely a hostel I'm going to stay at again. after all, edinburgh is a city I'll never tire of ;)
derekbilldaly derekbil…
A Barn With A Bar Oct 11, 2008
If like me the trade off between money and what you want to get done generally means it generally leads to spending as little as possible on a bed that you don't intend to spend all your time in (in the least slutty way possible, honest).

Thats what lead me to Caledonia Backpackers and their barn-like super dorm. I think there was close to 40 beds in this massive room. Luckily the extra bodies possibly helped keep the room nice and warm.

The smaller rooms were nicer naturally but slightly more expensive. Okay, I might be a little tight with my money.

The hostel is pretty much in the heart of the city and just a few minutes straight stroll from the bus and train station.

Each bed comes with a locker. You could borrow the iron from downstairs. The bathrooms were decent. There was a bar.

The bar, we were told, was a 24 hour bar. We would later put this to the test to disappointing results when the bar shut at 5 am but like the troopers that we are, we waited til 6 am when it reopened.....

As for the rest of the facilities, I did not really test them out as such, I put all my efforts into effectively reviewing the effectiveness of the bar. I'm good like that, no need to thank me...

Related Travel Blogs About Caledonian Backpackers

Ghosts Tales and Demonic Circles
Due to leave the Uk in November, one country I'd only gotten a glimpse of (Glasgow April 08) was Scotland.  I had a strong desire to see more of the country and going in Autumn held a big appeal…Edinburgh TB Forum we'd nominated the Caledonian Backpackers as the hostel to book into, so over the weekend there…

Check Caledonian Backpackers Rates and Deals