Calanais Standing Stones

Callanish, Scotland

Calanais Standing Stones Callanish Reviews

davidx davidx
UK's second stone monument Sep 02, 2010
Most authorities agree that the Standing Stones of Callanish or (in Scottish Gallic) Calanais come second only to Stonehenge among the Uk's ancient monuments.

It's a very long time since I saw them and there was no Visitor Centre then - just a sign saying 'To the stones.' Now there is a Visitor Centre but, somewhat to my surprise, entry is still free.

It needs a Visitor centre or something of the sort because I know we missed a lot. What we saw was the best known of the monuments, Calanais I - but there are something like 20 in total.

Calanais I consists of a stone circle (13 stones) surrounding the largest stone and a tomb (possibly added later). There are rows of stones to the four cardinal points of the compass, the one to the north being double.

It has been observed that there is some resemblance to a celtic cross but the stones predate the cross as a Christian symbol by more than 2000 years. If I go on I shal simply be copying from the website but do have a look - it's very informative.

Compare Isle of Lewis Hotel Rates (7.8km away)

Callanish Map