Cajun Pride Swamp Tours

110 Frenier, Laplace, LA, USA

Cajun Pride Swamp Tours Laplace Reviews

missandrea81 missandr…
The swampiest swamp tour Jul 02, 2008
Cross posted from New Orleans "Things to do": (Same thing though)

We had booked the tour with transportation from our hotel in New Orleans. The tour bus with our nice Cajun driver Derick showed up punctually at 12:30pm. We got in the cool van and headed towards Laplace about 20 minutes west of NOLA, give or take according to traffic.

We arrived at the location. There's a nice little gift shop here, a place to buy some drinks and restrooms in case you need one.

We were waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. Lots of people came here by car and the tour before us was a school bus load with kids, probably a summer break event or something. They seemed like they had had lots of fun. :)

But now it's our turn! We were loaded onto the boat and off we went. This tour is great since it's the company's private swamp. No other swamp tour boats that you have to compete with to get a climbs of a gator or ruin the all together picture of the swamp.

It didn't take long until the first gator was headed for our boat. We had a few kids on board who were very quick to spot them and made sure that everyone else knew that they had seen them first. lol Ah, to be a kid again. ;)

Now, here's a surprise! Gators love marshmallows! Our tour guide handed the bag of treats to the kids and they went nuts. haha We kept moving to get a couple of the gators together in one spot. The first feeding started and the kids were allowed to fed the gators one by one with chicken on a stick. They loved it.

I was getting a bit cranky because I kind of wanted to try that too, but I wasn't going to push little kids out of my way to have my turn. lol

We headed deep into the swamp saw a couple of alligators here and there, passed the Swamp Tour Inn (don't want to ruin the "story" behind it) and got to hold a little baby alligator that was in the care of the Cajun Pride Tours. Someone had found it near the highway all by itself and brought it in for care so it might have a chance of survival. Now, if the baby alligator gets agitated you wanna make a big ssssshhhhh sound behind its head because otherwise it might pee on you! True story! (It happened to one of our fellow TB buddies, if you're out there, speak up)

The technique was used by a couple of us because the poor thing was handed back and forth between the kids before any of the grown ups got a chance. It was pretty cool to hold one though!

We were headed into a dead end of the swamp now. It was pretty hot out. Boy was I glad that I dressed light. By the way, I didn't need any OFF spray, but you might wanna bring it along anyways, just in case.

There seemed to be a nest of alligators in this dead end because a LOT of them started showing up from all directions and they were BIG!! The largest one, appropriately named Big Boy, was 12 feet long. That's 4 meters for my European friends. ;)

Who got to feed him??? I got to feed him!! Weeeeee I ended up having to fight for my stick but I did save it and was honored by the tour guide. lol

People, alligators aside. The swamp is a gorgeous place!! I enjoyed the tour a lot. If you like nature and animals you should definitely go on this tour! I enjoyed it a lot. We didn't get to see a lot of other animals, but I guess it's just a matter of right time right place. You can't force nature. Maybe you'll get lucky and see even more then we did! Enjoy!!
Ye, be warned!
Dangerous job
The Louisiana swamp
missandrea81 says:
You should!!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2008
marksreynolds says:
Great review! When we finaly make the trip down there, we will book a tour as well :)
Posted on: Jul 21, 2008
missandrea81 says:
lol, yeah I wasn't sure. hehe It was entertaining even without an incident ;)
Posted on: Jul 17, 2008