CaixaForum

Pº del Prado 36 , Madrid, Spain
(+34) 91 330 73 00

CaixaForum Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Forget the Golden Triangle of Art in Madrid, this is the real deal! Oct 21, 2012
This is part of my Madrid travel blog, the day's entry and pictures can be found here: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/103985/Arrival-into-Madrid-2

So, after a tiring first day in Madrid, I had wrapped up Reina Sofia and was about ready to head back to my hostel and go to bed... but as I was walking by on Paseo del Prado, I noticed this really interesting vertical garden. Little did I know that this was the flagship of one of Madrid's coolest, hippest and underrated art galleries.

CaixaForum is basically an event hall showing various temporary exhibitions - some paid and some free. It's not in the most glamorous of settings, but works well for its simplicity.

I saw 2 exhibitions mainly focussed on skyscrapers in the world, including a very nice short film. They had models of all the big structures in the world including Burj al Arab in Dubai and the Eiffel Tower. The arrangement and flow of things reminded me a lot of the temporary exhibitions at British Museum.

I'm often surprised that travel books don't publicise this enough, and a lot of folks that visit Madrid don't visit this place. It's amazing! I'd recommend it to all and sundry!
simonenewyork simonene…
I like the garden wall Aug 06, 2010
There were a few good free photo exhibits but the real attraction is the garden wall. You have to at least go see this even if you don't go inside. Also it is right across the street from the park.
davidx davidx
Cultural Centre - great exhibition halls Sep 28, 2009
I am surprised at the number of people I meet who have been to Madrid and not noticed the CaixaForum (sic). It is in a much walked area between Atocha station and the Prado and is made very visible by a vertical garden between it and the road. It is probably best described as a cultural centre and has two floors of huge exhibition halls as well as cinema, theatre and musical facilities. Of course the free entry is to the building and there is a charge for tickets to events.

I can't remember whether the exhibitions are free to all or whether I got free entry for being a fossil. However if the exhibition that was on when I was there (multi-dimensional on the projects of Richard Rogers and his firm of architects) was ni nay way typical of the onrmal standard, it is worth a bit to see it!

There are CaixaForums in Barcelona and Tarragona as well