Cairngorm Mountains

Aviemore, Scotland

Cairngorm Mountains Aviemore Reviews

davidx davidx
Some of the UK's highest Nov 26, 2010
Why only 4? Many would give them 5 and that may mark my ignorance of the Cairngorms as does my putting that whole mountain mass into one review. It is simply that when I get that far north I start to think of the north-west and, in particular, of the Torridonian mountains. Hence I have only once had a short break in the Cairngorms and do not know enough about either the individual mountains or about the celebrated Lairig Ghru to review them separately.

I was with my youngest son and we did go to the top of Cairn Gorm, cheating by driving most of the way, We also had a splendid walk to the top of Braeriach during which we crossed the Lairig Ghru, which is a mountain pass through 4000 feet mountains often walked for its own sake. Amazingly we met a man who was lost (even though he had a good map and compass) who thought he was on the other side of the Lairig Ghru - which I thing is about as lost as anybody could be. The view west from Braeriach down to the valleys was particularly impressive.

Cairn Gorm is the only peak in the UK, other than Snowdon in Wales, that can be reached by a mountain railway. Long may these railways last and for ever may the other mountains remain wild!

A wild herd of reindeer, reintroduced from Norway, roams around the Cairngorms and their hinterland is a birdwatcher's paradise.

Related Travel Blogs About Cairngorm Mountains

A Walk In The Glens
The starting point, Blair Atholl. Home to one of the most photogenic historic homes in Scotland, Blair Castle, and the last remaining private army in Europe, the Atholl Highlanders. The finishing poi…Aviemore. The skiing and mountain sport capital of the UK. In between, the Cairngorms National Park. Some of the most…
Cairngorm Mountains, Funicular Railway, & Osprey Centre
FRIDAY: DAY 15:  I felt fine for breakfast and we went to the CAIRNGORM REINDEER CENTRE where we put on WELLIES (boots) and took a short drive to a parking lot. We (about 6 of us) hike…Cairngorm Mountains. It was really awesome seeing how steep we were actually going. The top had an observation deck with beautiful views and a restaurant! It was cold and VERY…
Lands End to John O Groats
New Year This is it, four months to go. Tina and myself have our fantastic new Dawes bikes, they are excellent, we are delighted with our choice and hope they don’t let us down when it comes to the…Cairngorm Mountains. We found a Tourist Board and booked a B&B Aviemore. We left Perth and continued along…

Check Aviemore Hotel Deals