Cailler Chocolate Factory

Broc, Switzerland

Cailler Chocolate Factory Broc Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Pur chocolat, pur emotion - so true for the chocolate loving kind we're all channelling inside of us! Sep 19, 2013
I'd have to say for a choco lover such as myself, this was a dream come true. Not just visiting my Mecca, but to have actually learnt something out of it. And that's why I'd highly recommend this place - good for the teeth, for the stomach and for the brain. You just can't go wrong.

As one of the French side's most visited attractions, the place was one of the better organised places I've been to. You pay up the fees for the tour (the only way to see the factory) and then get a choice of which language you wish to join (I believe they do all 5 inc. Spanish and Italian).

The tours don't start on time, and they're not exactly very clear on which language batch is leaving when, so there was a lot of confusion. But our tour did finally leave. For the most part, it was self-guided (voice led) really, but just that they have a certain language playing in each room as you walk in, so you need to make sure you're part of the right language. The first set of rooms start off with animation and toy presentations on the history of Nestle and Cailler started. It was kind of funny at the start but got a bit boring later.

After this, you're let on your own - and this is where the presentations end and you're thrust into the actual chocolate manufacturing unit. It's almost weird in that they really pay massive homage to the cow. Yes. There were tons of steel cylinders which looked like placeholders for cocoa and varieties of milk and milk powder. It was amazing watching my favourite Pralines being manufactured with minimal human interference. The best part was that they drop off at a corner and one can taste free samples!

And finally, the part we've all been waiting for - THE TASTING ROOM. Agree, it would be near impossible to stuff all the Cailler flavours so kudos to them for trying! You've got most of the imaginable ones possible. It's just sad that people crowd around each tasting table (arranged in a rectangle) for hours that if you don't muscle your way to the top of the queue, you'll be stuck staring at stupid memorabilia on the walls for hours!

Once you're out, you have the option of attending a documentary in the theatre which we turned down. So the next obvious step was the chocolate shop. I don't know if they offered any massive discounts but it was just so convenient shopping there.

And, well, why not have a bit of hot choc straight from the factory? Whilst the hot choc was sh*t and not really hot, it just felt cool to say that I had it at the factory itself.

All in all, I'd recommend this place. It's quite "industrial" but it's so eye opening to how one of the world's loved chocolates doesn't get manufactured in some little Swiss village in a dreamy cosy cottage, but in a proper brick and mortar building with lots of STEEL!
WalterC says:
Sounds like my type of place, as I love chocolate.
Posted on: Mar 19, 2014
Paulovic says:
Congrats on the feature! :)
Posted on: Mar 12, 2014
Cho says:
Congratulation on this featured review. I went to a chocolate factory recently in Santo Domingo, DR. Might write a review about it.
Posted on: Mar 12, 2014