Cagayan De Oro White Water Rafting

(088) 852 1021

Cagayan De Oro White Water Rafting Reviews

wanderinggoddess wanderin…
Whitewater Rafting in CDO! Apr 06, 2009
If you want to experience the thrill of white water rafting in the rapids of the Philippines, the place to go is Cagayan De Oro.

Located in Mindanao, Cagayan is a thriving province rich in culture and natural sights. A great come-on is the white water rafting activity along the stretch of rapids along the Cagayan De Oro river.

There are three stages for the activity. If you are a beginner, it is best to try out the beginner's 3-hour trek with a guide. You can contact them beforehand. If you go directly to Cagayan, any hotel can recommend you to the various local guide groups. We availed of "Bugsay" (Visayan for paddle) c/o Alfred, our very knowledgeable host. They charge Php 900.00 per head which is a bargain.

For the not so first time rafter, there is the "intermediate" which would take 5 to 6 hours, and the "advanced" which takes about 8 hours at the most. The inflated raft can accommodate at the least 6 persons and 8 at the most. So it is best if you travel in groups in order to maximize the balance and enjoyment of the activity.

It is advisable for you to wear wet suits and lots of sun block. The rapids are fun and tricky at the same time. The guides are basically very knowledgeable of the trek points since they have beem exploring the area since the 80's. They are mostly Visayan-speaking but are very fluent in English. Our guide Alfred started our activity with a briefing and oriented us on the proper handling of the paddle as well as tips just on what to expect along the way.

The rafting can be physically challenging so there are areas where you can rest and swim for a bit. Best place is the area which they call "Kiss the Wall", dubbed as that because of hte strong currents which would bring you to "kiss the wall" if you are not able to control your way around it.

Currents are strong, so it is best to keep your lifevests on. Helmets are provided also to protect you from the rocks just in case the raft overturns.

The sights along the way are a nature lover's dream. There are mini waterfalls where you can bath, gigantic boulders along the sides of mountains, mini coves where bats might come out anytime, and some areas where snakes can be seen hanging from branches. The last time we were there, we spotted an iguana who gamely eyed us from his perch on a rock by the bank.

The last part of the activity brings everyone to a 15foot rock in the middle of the river. It is said that every rafter should conclude the activity with a jump from the rock into the rushing currents of the river. Challenge your fear factor and jump your worries away!
all aboard! (Rafting in Cagayan De…
Braving the rapids at Cagayan whit…
Paddle paddle!
Hooha! Survived the 3-hour rafting!
chrisann says:
MY BF AND I WILL BE GOING TO CDO ON FEB 5-7, 2013. WE WOULD LIKE TO TRY RAFTING, RIVER TREKKING AT MAPANAWA, DAHILAYAN ZIPLINE AND ILIGAN WATERFALLS TOUR AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR GROUPS WE CAN JOIN WITH THIS ITERINARY... ANYONE WHO WILL GO THERE AT THE SAME DATE? PLEASE HELP...
Posted on: Sep 25, 2012
thethamz says:
wow! I'm excited to try that!!!
does someone knows what's the best hotel to stay in just near on the site??
Posted on: Sep 14, 2012
traveler101 says:
I would like to comment that the average charge of white water rafting here in Cagayan de Oro is Php 700.00 not Php900.00. At 700, you can visit the macahambus cave and stop at rappelling station where you can opt to try or just enjoy the scenery.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2010
the_bloodsucker the_bloo…
Cagayan De Oro White Water Rafting with Kagay Mar 13, 2008
Cagayan De Oro Whitewater Rafting has been the most popular activity in this side of my country. Why not? It promises to give you and experience that will soothe your weary souls with the cool waters of the CDO River, the longest in the region.

Doing such a flimsy thing will only be good enough should your outfitter is professional and well-experienced. And so, it was not hard to choose who will our partner be in this adventure- KAGAY.

Even before our water rafting day, I was already exchanging messages with Roldan. He was very friendly when he was giving me reminders such as the clothes to wear, things to and not to bring, what to expect, etc. With Roldan's assurance of how exciting, yet safe waterrafting is, some of my friends who had hesitations at first called it a GO!

It 10 minutes before 6AM, our sched pick up, the 5-man KAGAY team arrived at Pearlmont Hotel with a jepeny that transported us to the waterrafting site. We were all impressed at how these people made it ahead of our meeting time (we were kinda desperate to finish everything at 10AM as some of us had to catch a 1PM flight back to Manila).

Upon arrival in Cagayan De Oro River, we were briefed mostly on how to paddle correctly, and why following orders from our guides is important. We were repeatedly reminded on the possibility of the raft tumbling should we not do our part correctly. We were a bit disappointed that the river was not white that day, it was actually brown due to heavy rainfall the night before... but the good news is, because of high tide, the current is relatively stronger this time, and the rapids a lot wilder than the usual.

There were 14 rapids all in all, each with different names, and characteristics. Our guides had their share of anecdotes as to how such names were given to these rapids which were mostly based on names of personalities who fell off the raft. The whole water rafting lasted for a couple of hours. We didn't notice how fast the time flew as the sceneries along the river were breathtaking. We saw some caves and wild plants. And I will not forget the green, (about) three-meter snake we saw resting in one of the trees. I should also mention how our guides made life better for us by bringing their own camera which was used to document the entire exhilirating two hours of shooting the rapids.

And when we reached the end point, there were some KAGAY men waiting for us, and helped us parked our rapids, and get off them accordingly. There was a mini store/eatery where we rested for a while. After a few minutes, Roldan came and hand over a DCD to me. It's got all our pictures of the waterrafting that we just did. Great what these guys can do.

Before we left the place, we couldn't help but give our shares of stories and feelings about the activity. All our stories have common denominator--- we made the right choice of doing this pleasant experience with KAGAY.

For more of KAGAY, visit their website:

The Starting Point
High 5
My Group
Whattanexperience! Whew!
RacquelT127 says:
sweet!! I love white water rafting. What class is this river I've only been rafting 3x, last time I went it was class 5 rapids, with our little 10 foot waterfall. Pretty awesome, I've never went through a cave though. How was that? Wow, I'd love to raft at Cagayan de Oro river. great review.
Posted on: Mar 24, 2008
the_bloodsucker says:
yup. pag uwi mo dito rafting tayo! \:D/
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008
oltrego says:
no, what i meant was, i saw before sa probe team ata na they were using old tires as rafts. pinagdikit dikit nila parang ganun... kaya i was surprised to see na hindi ganun gamit nyo. :) in any case, i'm sure that was one helluvan adventure! :)
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Cagayan De Oro White Water Rafting

Cagayan de Oro - White Water Rafting (High Five!!)
    I had a severe cold, sore throat and headache last night. I did take my paracetamol, gargled with bactidol and applied a mint balm to my throat.  I didn't care …     I had a severe cold, sore throat and headache last night. I did take my…
The White Water Rafting Experience
Nov. 17, 2007 9:30AM - 12:30PMCagayan de Oro City, Philippines There are only two places in the Philippines that White Water Rafting is known for. One is the Cagayan Valley, which is …Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines There are only two places in the Philippines that White Water Rafting
My First White Water Rafting Adventure
I am not really the adventurous type but when I learned that white water rafting is a must-try experience in Cagayan De Oro, I did not hesitate to sign up. Cagayan De Oro was actually just a jump-off…water rafting is a must-try experience in Cagayan De Oro, I did not hesitate to sign up. Cagayan De Oro was actually just…

Check Cagayan de Oro Hotel Deals