Caffé Ponte

Hiroshima, Japan

Caffé Ponte Hiroshima Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Good food, but not so good service Apr 14, 2013
Caffé Ponte is an Italian restaurant located right by the river cruise dock in the Peace Memorial Park.

I arrived around 5 pm and the place was quiet. Despite not many guest I could not have a table inside. The usher said that they were reserved. I could see tables that did not have a reserved sign on them, but what could I do. I was seated outside on a table for two. It's early April and not summer. Wiith a fleece jacket and a windbreaker it was okay.

The menu was nicely done in Japanese and English. The photo of each dish was very inviting. The menu consisted of typical things from the Italian kitchen; antipasti, salads, soups, pizza, a good variety of pasta (mostly spaghetti, but in a number of flavors), meat and seafood. Their speciality was oysters from Hiroshima.

My waitress, who spoke English well, didn't know much neither about the food nor the wine. She ran to the kitchen to ask every time I had a question. I ended up ording garlic bread, chicken and mushroom risotto and sparkling wine. Everything was very good.

As long as I was there, no one occupied the reserved tables. 4 people dropped in during my dinner and they were showed to a table inside without reservation. It was obvious that they didn't want a single person occupying a table.

Caffé Ponte serves good food in a good location, but the service could be much better. I guess they suffer a bit from the "tourist trap" thing. If you don't mind this, it's an okay place for a good lunch on a day in the Peace Memorial Park, of for dinner after a visit to the Peace Memorial Musem.
Outdoors seating
Inside
Outdoor seating
Oysters from Hiroshima
sarahsan says:
Couldn't agree more Allie!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2013
jeminigirl says:
Most unfair for the single traveller to have to sit outside!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2013