Cafeteria Modelo

(02) 254-8184

Cafeteria Modelo Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
A simple breakfast Oct 25, 2012
The breakfasts at the Hotel San Francesco were, as I have said, rather disappointing, so on about our third morning we gave up on them and decided to go out for breakfast. We opted for the Cafeteria Modelo which was just up the road from the hotel. This is apparently something of an old town institution, having been founded in 1950, although we chose it purely on grounds of convenience and the brightly covered table-cloths which suggested a place well cared-for.

There were a number of “breakfast combinations” on the menu, of which we both selected the simplest. This consisted of eggs any style (we both chose omelette or tortilla), bread, coffee and juice. You order at the counter and take a seat at the table to wait for your food to be served.

The fresh orange juice was very good and in a large glass. The bread was nice too, and the omelette fine. But the coffee was disappointing, especially as it was the weak coffee at the hotel that had driven us here. It was served in the traditional Ecuadorean way – a small jug of (cold) strong black coffee placed on the table, which you add to your mug of hot water or hot milk (specify which you want on ordering). No problem with the principle of this, but I found that no matter how much I added to my mug the resulting drink was not strong enough for my taste, despite getting rather bitter. It reminded me of the old, chicory-based, Camp coffee of my childhood!

The breakfast was however very reasonably priced, at just $2.50 each.
In Cafeteria Modelo