Cafe du Monde

(504) 587-0831

Cafe du Monde New Orleans Reviews

mdfehmel mdfehmel
Overated but Required Stop in NOLA Nov 18, 2015
One of the most famous culinary icons of New Orleans is the beignet. Basically a donut doused in powdered sugar, the beignet is one of these "MUST EATs" on anyone's list in NOLA. The most famous place to get said beignets is Cafe du Monde on Decatur St. My wife and I decided to partake on a recent leisure trip to “Nawlins”. As expected, there was a line to get in, although it moved pretty quickly. This restaurant is literally a revolving door. Be prepared for a pushy and impatient staff; again - they are focused on volume so the quicker they can get you in and out the better. There are very few items available on the menu; pretty much just beignets and coffee with very little variation. Be prepared to order soon after you get to your seat - the most traditional order will be a single order of beignets (3 pieces) and a cup of coffee. Although 3 beignets was sufficient to fill me up for breakfast, it is not too large that it will spoil your appetite for lunch. When the wait staff sees that you are almost done with your beignets, they will drop off the check without being asked and stand there to get there cash payment and tip. After that you are expected to leave while the next party is already on their way from the front door to take your place. I would recommend going to Cafe du Monde once to check the block and say you did, but I would not go back.
Cafe du Monde, New Orleans, LA.
Cafe du Monde, New Orleans, LA.
Beignets and coffee at Cafe du Mon…
sophiabowie sophiabo…
Nom, nom, nom! Apr 06, 2013
Everyone says you can't leave New Orleans without having a beignet. And they're right. You can't! Beignets are deep fried dough covered in powder. They're the best paired with a cup of coffee and chicory. MMM! We had ours from Cafe du Monde. Probably the most famous beignet place in New Orleans. I've only had their beignets so I can't say if they're the best, but they sure are freaking delicious. The prices are average and it's located centrally in New Orleans. It gets a bit crowded, but their service is fast. Enjoy your beignets!
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Finger Lickin' Good!!! Mar 06, 2011
Beignets at Cafe du Monde was my number one priority in New Orleans, and it did not disappoint. I HIGHLY recommend Cafe du Monde.

There are several locations, but we HAD to go to the original, on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. We went for breakfast, about 8:30 on a Saturday morning; this location is open 24 hours a day. It was absolutely busy; stand in line until a table comes available, and there are at least two lines going. We were VERY lucky, by being second in line and a couple finishing at a table right by the line for us to claim their table. By the time we left, the line was DOWN THE BLOCK. Plus, there is a 'to-go' line that stretches the length of the outdoor dining patio. Once you have found a seat, a server will come take your order. When they bring your food, you will pay the server, and they take cash only.

The menu is simple: beignets and coffee. There are a few different coffee options, but we had their signature cafe au lait. I wasn't overly impressed with the coffee, but the beignets are to die for! Fried donuts that are buried beneath powdered sugar. A single order is three beignets, and one person can easily eat all three. They are just so darn good, you can't quit eating -- or licking the powdered sugar off your fingers.

Eating at Cafe du Monde is one of my favorite dining experiences ever. The place is bustling with locals, tourists, and the servers. The beignets are amazing, I'm still craving them! I bought a box of their mix, I'm hoping to recreate the fried goodness at home. That being said, their coffee and beignet mix is available for purchase here and at several souvenir stores. My suggestion is to buy it here -- it's cheaper than the souvenir stores.

GO TO CAFE DU MONDE. Go. Now. I highly (HIGHLY) recommend it -- for the beignets and the experience.
jessedang jessedang
French-style beignets Jul 18, 2011
Everyone recommends this place. People in town and from out of town. Supposedly, you have never been to New Orleans unless you have stopped for a beignet here. It is best known for its café au lait and its French-style beignets. That is all that is served, so it's a great place to just stop by, grab a coffee and catch up with a friend; the cafe is spacious that rarely do you have trouble finding a seat.

Note: Cash only.
kissykrissy03 kissykri…
tourist trap/hidden gem Mar 14, 2011
So of course I'm sure along with the push to eat gator meat, one of the most popular things to try in new orleans on most people's food list are beignets. These are simply light SUGARY little pastries similar in taste and texture to a donut. They are absolutely delicious and addictive but after whenever i try those things my max was always 2, as the grease rushed straight to my brain every single time. On the flip side they are also very cheap. I think they were about $3 for 4 or something like that.

There are 2 locations in which i had these lovely treats and the main location, in the French Quarter is an absolute disaster, There a re lines that turn corners just to order takeout, not to mention sit down. We did this one night and the experience was entirely unpleasant as we waited to sit and then when we finally got a table, they are all entirely too close to each other with no room to move. Just too much hassle for juice and donuts.

On the other hand there is a location a few blocks away at a mall which is much smaller and much more pleasant. They have a really nice sized store with quite a few tables on the inside, however they also have a few tables outside overlooking the river where the tour boats go back and forth all day. No stress, no lines...just an easy, breezy, sugary experience.

note to self...wear a garbage bag to eat these things cuz they sure are messy. I got powdered sugar on my boobs and in my eyes everytime...don't judge me!!!
montecarlostar montecar…
Best Beignets ever! Oct 31, 2009
This place is a must in New Orleans! A long line of people waiting is usually a good sign that the place would be good! And so it was! When we could finally make it in we got a table that had not been clean yet, since people is coming and leaving continuously. The waitress came and cleaned up the table for us and asked what did we want to order. Naturally we were there for the Beignets, so we got ourselves two double orders of them with an Au Lait coffee. The beignets were so excessively covered by delicious sugar glass that it was difficult to eat them without making a mess. I was not successful at that! But the taste was spectacular! I had never had beignets before but I am sure these are hard to beat! The place is worth of its reputation!
The sign
The inside
My beignets and au lait!
mmeredith02 says:
I love that place! We would stop there every day to some beignets!
Posted on: Nov 03, 2009
delsol67 says:
I'm from Louisiana and I'm so glad that this place never changes!!!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2009
Maui Maui
Overrated but satisfying Jun 10, 2009
For the amount of beignets you get the price is unbeatable.

The line was long and the place really crowded. I've had better, fluffier, melt in my mouth beignets in Texas. Still, that didn't keep me from eating two.

The coffee wasn't so bad though.
From across the street.
X_Drive X_Drive
You haven't enjoyed life until you've had a Beignet! Apr 23, 2008
The original Café du Monde coffee stand was established in 1862 in the French Market of New Orleans. And according to its website is open 24/7 everyday except Christmas and “unless a hurricane gets a little to close”.

Considered a traditional coffee shop their menu is short and sweet. Coffee with Chicory, Milk (both white and chocolate), fresh squeezed Orange Juice and most recently Iced Coffee and soft drinks. Coffee Au Lait is the most ordered.

The sweet part is the Beignets, a French donut like fried fritter square in shape and covered with more white powdered sugar than you can imagine. Served in three per order. Brought to Louisiana by the Acadians these are a treat so great you’ll wish you had them near your home. Messy, but easy to eat and hard to leave.

Not to worry, if you wish you can purchase Beignet mix from them to make you own. In fact you can purchase several things in their gift shop or on-line.
travel-the-world says:
I'm going next week and will have to have a beignet and cafe au lait.
Posted on: May 04, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
Beignets are delicious! This is a must-do for anyone visiting New Orleans and the French Quarter. Yum! But they are best if you have someone to share them with ;)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008
vances says:
Have to applaud your review, Roger. Think I've read several here and yours is the first I recall mentioning the chicory coffee...which makes this place as distinctive as the beignets!
Posted on: Jul 07, 2008
Hummingbird Hummingb…
Coffee and Beignets! Oct 15, 2008
By all standards this is just a coffee shop. But you will never find another one like it. They sell only Coffee with Chicory, Milk, Orange juice, Iced Coffee and soft drinks. Most popular is Coffee Au Lait. But what makes this so different is what they serve with the coffee, Beignets! These are a French donut like fritter rather square in shape and covered entirely with powdered sugar. They serve them 3 per order and they are so delightful you don’t care if the sugar gets all over you. This is one treat that no one who visits New Orleans should ever miss. And don’t worry about it being closed when you get there, they are open 24/7 except Christmas and “unless a hurricane gets a little too close”.
spocklogic says:
It's all about the Beignets - Bravo!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
yadilitta yadilitta
A classic: Cafe Du Monde Feb 06, 2008
Well, this is a New Orleans' classic. Same as Pat O'Briens and the hurricane. If you are in New Orleans, you must go to Cafe Du Monde and have a cup of coffee and some beignets.

The original Cafe Du Monde is at the French Market. I'd suggest you going there. The atmosphere is nice, you are close to the crazy French Quarter, but still can enjoy a good cup of coffee and have a nice view of the city, Cathedral and the Mississipi River.

As souvenir you can buy mugs, hats, and also coffee and beignet's mix :P

This is a traditional place and must be in your agenda if you are planning to go to NOLA :)

A tip: the beignets are delicious but covered with sugar powder, so don't wear anything black, hehe
my hat
Cafe Du Monde at night
nice tables
delicious!!!
montecarlostar says:
I am so glad I had the chance to go to this wonderful place! Gotta love those beignets!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2009
EDGtravel says:
Yes powder sugar everywhere.
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008
yadilitta says:
why do you say it? because of the sugar of the beignets, hahaha
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008
cardhouse_dreamer cardhous…
Pastry hasn't been done any better Dec 05, 2008
I don't think I can even properly describe the deliciousness that I encountered upon placing a beignet to my tastebuds. You must go here and try three for yourself (I say three, because that is how you must order them). It's 2.00$ even for a plate. Seriously, can you beat that deal anywhere?
(pic found on google)
(pic found on google)
arttxturtle arttxtur…
Yummy beignets and coffee Apr 25, 2008
When visiting New Orleans, Cafe du Monde is a must for coffee and beignets. For around $4, you can get a small coffee (with chicory), either black or "cafe au lait", and a plate of 3 beignets (French Donuts). This is the oldest coffee stand still in New Orleans and is open 24 hours a day. It's pretty crowded most days but definitely worth the wait.
fury542 fury542
Best Beignets in Town!!!!! May 09, 2008
Cafe du Monde is the place to get some beignets. The atmosphere is a bit crowded but its located right at the center of the French Quarter. Like I said, this place is always packed, you have the choice of sitting in or taking your beignets to go. The people working at Cafe du Monde definitely do not scrimp on the powdered sugar. The beignets are basically swimming in the stuff. One order of beignets costs about $1.82 for three beignets and I believe a cup of coffee is the same price. But if you want chocolate or white milk it costs $1.82 for a small carton milk or $2.60 for a 8 or 12 ounce milk jug. I highly suggest if you are only going to order one set of beignets get a small milk because the larger milk is definitely made for more than one order. Overall, this place is pretty great to go to either in the early evening after dinner, when its not too hot outside or if you just want to satisfy your sweet tooth this is a great affordable choice!!!
nik2blessed says:
sounds good, gonna have to make a trip, oh boy
Posted on: May 15, 2008
o_dog o_dog
Jan 06, 2008
Cafe du Monde is not only one of the famous eateries in the French Quarter area, but also offers an affordable place to sit down and have something light with your coffee.

Nobody will seat you; you need to find an available table. A server, usually someone who is very friendly, will come and take your order. The menu is placed on the napkin dispenser just on the table. I suggest an order of beignets and a cup of coffee.

Enjoy the sight and sound of French Quarter while you sit there sipping your coffee and munching the fluffy beignet. Street musicians would come by and play their instruments, street clowns shortly join and amuse children, and before you know it you'd smile and take it all in.
people enjoying the french quarter…
the menu
Kana says:
Ah, I miss this place! :)
Posted on: Jan 18, 2008
reina216 reina216
doughnuts without a hole-- and oh yeah...coffee May 25, 2008
Beignets are soooo yummy! Soft, fluffy, square doughnuts without a hole, smothered in powdereed sugar. Mmmmmmmm. New Orleans is known for these little delicacies...and supposedly this place is known for it's coffe, too. But I'm definitely not a coffee person, so you're gonna have to search for a different review on that.

Besides that the server was hilarious. I got him to give me his little paper hat!!! And then he got a bunch of new ones for everyone else. Hilarious.
Beignets