Cafe de Asplaag.

Kon. Emmaplein 7, The Hague, Netherlands

Cafe de Asplaag. The Hague Reviews

planxty planxty
A proper working man's bar. Apr 09, 2017
I have written in the main portion of the journal this review is attached to about the lovely time I spent in the De Sierken restaurant / bar but after a time I did feel it was time to move elsewhere, purely in the interests of travel writing research you understand.

Fortunately, I did not have far to go as I had spotted the Asplaag bar literally two doors up the street when I had been out for a cigarette. I have included an image here merely to indicate the proximity of the premises.

Whilst De Sierkan is obviously quite an upmarket place, Asplaag is equally obviously a "working man's bar" and there was not a woman in sight, neither customer nor staff. Many of the guys were wearing obviously working clothes like high-visibility jackets and steel toe-capped boots. It is pretty rough and ready and definitely a "no-frills" sort of place but it was in no way intimidating and I got talking to a couple of the guys there who proved to be great company if a little surprised at my presence in what is obviously very much their local. I suspect that they do not get a lot of passing tourist trade.

The beer was well-kept and served by a friendly barman and there was football on the large-screen TV. It really did suit me down to the ground and if you do not want all the bells and whistles and like to hang out with the locals then it could well be for you.

Recommended.
Cafe de Asplaag, Den Haag.
Cafe de Asplaag, Den Haag.

Check The Hague Hotel Deals