Cafe Zaalig.

www.zaalig.com - 010 426 0575

Cafe Zaalig. Schiedam Reviews

planxty planxty
Another great place. Apr 04, 2017
Cafe Zaalig was the second of two excellent restaurant / bar / cafes I visited in Schiedam and it really is a great place. I found it completely by accident as I was wandering aimlessly about and I am so glad I did as I had such a pleasant time engaged in good conversation, enjoying a well-kept beer or two and even getting a free cookery lesson from an obviously very talented chef!

Zaalig enjoys a wonderful position on the corner of the Grote Markt (large market) which is effectively a very pleasant square and it also enjoys great views of the "big church" just across the road. On a fairly sunny Spring morning most customers opted to sit outside at the numerous tables set up in the Grote Markt and I had the bar all to myself. It was still a bit chilly for my aging bones but apparently the Dutch are a hardy people and don't feel the cold!

The decor is eclectic to say the least and definitely suggests a "world" feel. The various light fittings in the roof are particularly worthy of mention. The entire premises is immaculately kept, including the "facilities" when I had occasion to use them.

I was greeted warmly by an extremely friendly young lady behind the bar who spoke flawless English as seems to be norm here and yet again I was put to shame by my lack of facility in languages. I ordered a beer from the extensive selection offered and sat at the bar to enjoy it whilst savouring a very pleasant conversation with the barmaid and then expanded to include the other young lady who started her shift a little later. She too spoke similarly perfect English although she spent most of her time running in and out filling orders with coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice seeming to be the beverages of choice. Honestly, in the relatively short time I was there the young lady must have squeezed about half an orchard's worth of them!

Completing the triumvirate of charming staff was the absolute ace in the pack, the young lady chef. As it was still before lunch service when I arrived she was "prepping" away and I got to talking to her. It is almost superfluous to say that her English was perfect.

Just one of the many odd things about me is that whilst I have the appetite of a sparrow and eat virtually nothing, I love cooking and everything associated with it. I would happily watch cooking programmes all day on television and I will equally happily just sit and pore over recipes online for hours when I should really be doing something more productive and so it was a very content planxty that was chatting away, beer in hand. It turned into a fairly busy lunch service for a Tuesday and she was on her own but even as she was very efficiently working her way through the tickets she seemed quite at ease chatting to me as she worked. I would have been pulling what is left of my hair out at that point. We yarned away about all things food related and she was even good enough to give me a steer on some traditional Dutch dishes which I am going to have to have a go at when I get home.

Although I did not eat myself the food looked gorgeous, very well presented and quickly served. Zaalig also specialise in a "high tea" @ €21:50 p.p. and have regular special menus as well as daily specials.

I would have been more than content to sit there all afternoon but it really was time to be moving after four or five beers as I had to meet my friend and so I reluctantly called for the bill which was slightly more expensive than other places I drink in the region but not ridiculously so.

Zaalig really is a "quality" place where the staff really do raise it from being merely a pleasant place for a drink to being a great place to go.

Highly recommended.
planxty says:
She really was. Obviously hugely professional and skilled at what she did and still found the time to chat to a customer. Absolutely top service in that place.
Posted on: Apr 07, 2017
vicIII says:
"The absolute ace in the pack"... - it is a good idea! Good for you!:)
Posted on: Apr 07, 2017