Cafe Sorgenfri

Cafe Sorgenfri  - Inside Cafe Sorgenfri

Cafe Sorgenfri Copenhagen Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Great lunch restaurant Jun 22, 2012
Some years ago I had hardly visited any of the lunch restaurants in inner Copenhagen but I have now made a serious effort to improve my statistics. My latest visit was to Café Sorgenfri in Brolæggergade near Strøget and Gammel Torv in the city center.

The restaurant is located on a corner and entering you step down to the basement and in to a dark room. It takes your eyes 5 - 10 seconds before you get used to the light and you then recognize a cozy Danish styled lunch restaurant with tables in small groups of 2 and 4 person tables and one or two larger tables. The tables all have the traditional red white-checked tablecloths on and a bold waitress will address you with a smile and a cheeky remark.

We had booked a table, which is something that I recommend because these small lunch restaurants are extremely popular in the summertime. We were given a table in the middle of the room and knowing the concept we ordered a beer straight away while we checked out their offer of Danish smørrebrød. The secret about Danish smørrebrød is that it is a small piece of bread coved in a huge decoration of fish, meat or whatever you choose. I will in general only be able to eat between 1 and 3 pieces, so I generally order 2 and place another single one if I can handle it.

I choose a homemade fried and pickled herring as my first one and a Steak tartar with egg yolk. Later I choose the third one and it was a blue cheese with raw egg yolk. In order to get food down we ordered a good flow of beers and we shared a bottle of snaps. Needles to say I was a bit tipsy when I left.

The food was really great and the service was fresh. The restaurant has a lot of historical charm; it has been located there for a couple of hundred years and the building where the restaurant is located is from 1796.
Inside Cafe Sorgenfri
Food
Tartar
Herring
Chokk says:
With good friends it is more than worth it :)
westwind57 says:
I would have no problem with that too, probably would decide that it's worth that half day... :)
Chokk says:
Once a month a can do this - tops - it always ends up taking half of the next day to get over it ;)

Check Copenhagen Hotel Deals