Cafe Restaurant Turisto

Cafe Restaurant Turisto - Inside Cafe Turisto

Cafe Restaurant Turisto Borjomi Reviews

HORSCHECK HORSCHECK
Cafe Restaurant Turisto Jun 06, 2015
I usually wouldn't go to any restaurant named "Tourist" or similar, but in June 2015 when I was for 4 nights in Borjomi I made an exception.

There were three reasons: First of all Borjomi isn't a touristy city, secondly it was recommended to me by my host and last but not least it looked like it was the only alternative to the Café Restaurant Old Borjomi.

Like other places in Georgia, the name cafe often actually refers to a restaurant. I visited the Cafe Turisto twice for dinner and even got in contact with the owner of the place, who also seems to be the cook. He took a seat at my table and recommended meals from the English menu to me. He didn't speak any English, but we got by in Russian.

The interior of the small Cafe Turisto is decorated with all sorts of travel memorabilia of either the owner or the guests who visited the place. Once the owners realised that I took some photos, they showed me a painting of Stalin hanging in a more hidden part of the restaurant.

The menu offers all sorts of local dishes and on my two visits I ate pork shashlik (7 GEL) with fries (4 GEL) and domestic pork (8 GEL) with potatos (4 GEL). A salad cost 4 GEL, the local beer was 2 GEL. Interesting enough no 10 % service charge was added to the bill. Everything was delicious, but in parts a bit greasy.

I definitely liked the homely and personal atmosphere of the small Cafe Turisto and although I also liked the Cafe Restaurant Old Borjomi, I would prefer Cafe Restaurant Turisto if I had to chose only one place.

Directions: The Cafe Turisto can be found in the Dumbaze Street, which is the first street to the right south of Merab Kostava Square. The Merab Kostava Square is situated at the end of the Bridge of Beauty on the right side of the river Mtkvari.
Cafe Turisto and owner
Inside Cafe Turisto
Cafe Turisto: Stalin drawing
Cafe Turisto: Pork shashlik with f…
DAO says:
Cool little place.
Posted on: Feb 09, 2017
EmyG says:
As for the name of the restaurant: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare :D
Posted on: Feb 08, 2017