317 Manhattan Beach Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA, USA - (310) 545-5252

Cafe-Pierre Manhattan Beach Reviews

Fine Cuisine...Casual Beachside Atmosphere May 29, 2008
Cafe Pierre is a lovely restaurant by owner and executive chef Guy Gabriele and is located along the main drag through Manhattan Beach, just a few blocks away from the Manhattan Beach Pier. The restaurant interior is colorful in bold red and blue hues.

Since my cousin and I got there early in their dinner service, we had the pleasure of dining by the front windows to take in the early evening activity in this quaint beachside community.

To start, my cousin and I shared the Seared Artisan Foie Gras and Wild Boar Ragu Pappardelle. My cousin also had the French Onion Soup Gratinee. The French Onion Soup Gratinee had a very flavorful and rich broth while the gratinee with cheese was just ok. The Seared Artisan Foie Gras was served on top of a round brioche toast and was garnished with a roasted peach and duck fat roasted shallots. The foie gras had a very irony and minerally flavor but I really liked the way the sweetness of the peach cut through that. The foie gras with the shallot was delicious as well but I preferred the peach. The Wild Boar Ragu Pappardelle with portobello mushrooms and green peas had a tasty sauce and the pappardelle was cooked perfectly but I wish it had more meat on it.

For our entrees my cousin ordered the Veal Sweetbreads Grenobloise and I ordered the Wild Arctic Char. The Veal Sweetbreads Grenobloise had a lemon caper sauce and topped with crispy shreds of potato. I tried a bit of the sweetbreads aka thymus glands...but just a little bit.

I have never had Arctic Char before but I saw it being used as the secret ingredient on Iron Chef America so I wanted to try it. My Wild Arctic Char was served over warm potato salad and asparagus and was sauced with a chive beurre blanc. By looks alone, the arctic char flesh looked like salmon however the texture was like a trout. The flavor of the fish was mild but the sauce really made the dish plus I like how the skin was crispy. I didn't care for the warm potato salad but it was edible.

After all this food we were full but somehow there was still room for something sweet. For dessert, my cousin ordered the Fried Camembert Truffle and I ordered the Chocolate Monaco. The Fried Camembert Truffle came a Huckleberry compote and vanilla ice cream. The fried cheese...alone was so yummy. With the berry compote it was even better...but the ice cream was just over the top. Chocolate Monaco is an espresso flavored meringue that had the consistency a bit firmer than panna cotta and it really satisfied my sweet tooth.

The service was flawless...they even came around to clear the crumbs off the table after we ate some bread.

Overall, the food was delicious enough to warrant a return visit by me, hopefully in the near future!
Cafe Pierre
French Onion Soup Gratinee
Seared Artisan Foie Gras
Cafe Pierre interior
Biglush_23 says:
Gads following you around next time im down there hahahaah ^^
Posted on: Nov 07, 2008
lisa says:
oh i've wanted to try this place! but baby cow and forcefed duck liver makes me sad... :(
Posted on: Nov 07, 2008