Cafe Pasqual's

121 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM, USA - 505-983-9340

Cafe Pasqual's Santa Fe Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Fantastic Breakfast just a block off the Plaza May 02, 2011
Part restaurant, part art gallery, this was one of the better finds on my Santa Fe restaurant tour. Café Pasqual’s was the only place that I visited twice. Both of these visits were breakfast visits; the lunch menu would have been worth checking out, but the dinner menu was too expensive for what I had to spend. The breakfast wasn’t cheap, but it was reasonable enough by Santa Fe standards – a la cart items ran from $2 -$5 and the breakfast entrees ranged from $9 - $16. You could eat for less at some of the order at the counter style cafes, but I doubt you would be eating as well. Everything on the menu at Pasqual’s is organic or from a local farm or free range or whatever, if that type of thing is important to you.

The place is clearly popular, and you will likely have somewhat of a wait. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for our first visit (tho the line certainly built up behind us as we were being brought to our table) and on our second visit we avoided a wait by taking spots at the “community table”, a large table in the center of the restaurant that can seat up to 10. If you get there during prime meal hours and want to have a table private for your party, then you should likely expect to have some time to kill. The place has many fans.

The service was friendly and down to earth during both visits. The wait staff is unpretentious, dressed mainly in jeans and tee shirts, but professional enough so that it is obvious they have been doing this for a while. Our waitress for our first visit mentioned that she had been a Santa Fe local for over 30 years, and I would wager that she’s worked at Pasqual’s for a good chunk of that time. It seemed like a good place to work; being so popular and slightly “upscale” I’d imagine the servers make pretty good tips. It also seemed like the kind of place that had a steady mix of tourists and regulars, which must break up the tourist monotony.

On to the food – my first meal was the Linda’s Homemade Granola and a side of hash browns. I don’t know who Linda is, but her granola was fantastic – sweet but not too sweet, and plenty of it. I didn’t think it would be as filling as it was, hence the side of home fries, but I could barely finish the whole bowl, and it was only because the red chile sauce was so damn good that I got through as many of the home fries as I did. And let me reiterate, the red chile sauce is so damn good! I would comfortably say that both the green and the red chile sauce at Pasqual’s was the best I had in all of Santa Fe (which to be fair means only the 5 different place I ate at). When I went back for my second meal I tried the hand-held burrito, which I shellacked with red chile sauce. Though not as filling a meal, it was damn tasty, and certainly something I’d order again. My girlfriend tried the smoked trout hash, which she thoroughly enjoyed, and the French toast, which I did manage to get a bite of, and it was pretty damn incredible. I appreciate a place that uses real maple syrup instead of corn syrupy-crap.

On an "un-related to the quality of the restaurant" note, while we were sitting at our table, my girlfriend kicked me discreetly and whispered “isn’t that guy famous?” I looked up at the gentleman who she was referring to and sure enough, he was. I remembered him as the corrupt FBI agent in the movie “Thunderheart”. He added himself to the wait-list as “Sam”. I’ll leave the research up to you.

I highly suggest Café Pasqual’s as a place that shouldn’t be missed. Solid food, solid service, reasonable prices, and some of the best damn chile sauce I’ve had made it a great dining experience. If I was a Santa Fe local, I’m pretty sure this place would be part of my regular rotation

Check Santa Fe Hotel Deals