Cafe Olivier.

Hooigracht 23, Leiden, Netherlands
Cafe Olivier. - Cafe Olivier, Leiden.

I think this is is whatjust about finished me!

A lightly bettern image.
Cafe Olivier. - Cafe Olivier, Leiden.

Apoloies for the quality of the imagebutn I do not like firing off flashnon my camera when people are having an intimate meal, I find that disgustingly rude.  I hopeyou get the idea of my friend's steak.

Cafe Olivier. Leiden Reviews

planxty planxty
A brilliant first night in Leiden. Apr 04, 2017
Having eventually arrived in Leiden after a few little adventures and diversions as detailed in the journal this review is attached to, I had managed to meet my friend and enquired what the plan for the evening was and got the answer that we were going to Oliver's. I have also heard this place referred to as Oliveers locally, which is presumably a Dutch transliteration, but it appears from the website that the correct name is actually Olivier's also known as the Belgian Beer Cafe.

We got a taxi there although in fairness it was walking distance from out hotel, the Golden Tulip, which is the subject of another review on this page. As I shall explain later in this piece, it was not such an easy walk home!

Olivier's is located in what was the old St. Elisabeth hospital in the Hooigracht area which is just a little way from the centre. Leiden really isn't that big a place so you can walk easily from the centre along some beautiful canals and it is a delightful building which has been very sympathetically restored or preserved. It just oozes atmosphere.

We wandered in and readers of other pages on this journal will not be surprised to know that we were greeted in perfect English by a young man who turned out to be a great source of information as he was actually a qualified beer sommelier, despite his relatively tender years. I had no idea there even was such a thing.

To say that the beer list was extensive would be somewhat akin to saying that George Best (who incidentally lived as a child a few hundred yards from where I did in Belfast) could kick a football. It was huge, mostly Belgian as the name of the place would suggest but with a few Dutch offerings as well and I set about it with a will. Truth be told, I probably set about it with rather too much of a will but it was just so, so tempting. The young man had the full information on everything on the menu and I proceeded to wade my way through Dubbels, Trippels, Bocks, fuit beers (apparently only supposed to be drunk by women but I love them), Trappistes (made by Trappist monks) and Heaven knows what else. When my friend announced that they were closing the restaurant soon and she was hungry, I took the hint and we retired to the delightful back room for a meal.

Service was very prompt and with the usual perfect English spoken by all the young servers and we perused the menu which was not huge but looked very interesting. I plumped for the ham on the bone and my friend went for steak, which is her usual choice. I must admit that, whilst I like steak well enough, I think that dead pig is my favourite meat. I have to say that my ham was cooked to a nicety and my friend declared her steak equally good. I did have a mouthful of it and it was indeed falling apart it was so tender. The accompaniments complemented the meats brilliantly and I was glad to note that the vegetables were not boiled into submission as can so often be the case, they were beautifully prepared and just a little "al dente" as I like. The whole meal, service and ambience were top notch.

Having been well satiated already we skipped dessert or coffee but I did decided that I was going to finish off with just one more beer and I picked an utter killer. I think it was this that finally saw me off. I opted for the rather strangely named Trappistes Rochefort 10, another of the beers I mentioned that were made by Trappist monks. The reason I say it was oddly named was that it was called "10" but the label actually showed that it was 11% abv which is getting on for wine strength.

People that know me, including many "refugees" here from Virtual Tourist will know that I have a fairly high tolerance to alcohol, presumably because I consume so much, but I think the Rochefort was the straw that bloke the camel's back and it was a slightly unsteady but utterly contented planxty that had to be gently steered in the direction of the hotel.

Olivier is certainly not an inexpensive option but it is extremely good for both food and drink and I recommend it highly even if you have to seek it out a little from the central area.
planxty says:
In fairness, I cannot claim this one, it was my friend that knew it, but I have found a few more beauities since which I shall get round to writing about in due course. Wait until I tell you about the 6.2% picalilli beer I was on today. Yes, you read that correctly, it was not a mis-translationof Picadilly,it really smelt and tastedof mustard pickle. Utterly weird but very drinkable.

I used to know a great little bar in St. Malowherethe barman even gave me a little Breton flag to sew onto my Bergen and they played Celtic music all day. I doubt if it is there now as that was nearly 30 years ago but who knows.

I have to get out of Rotterdam on Thursday as the hostel is booked out (Easter I suppose) so it is literally staying wherever I can get a bed without breaking the bank. I was thinking Antwerpen maybe, we'll see. Might pop over to Tongeren to see Jess and Kirsty and maybe even a day to Aachen if Valentina is at home. Aftertht it is on South wherever and Brittany could well be on the radar. Does the ferry still run overnight to Pompey? That might be a plan.

Speak soon,

Fergy.
Posted on: Apr 11, 2017
pfsmalo says:
Only you could find places like this......St Malo is still here and waiting if you want to pop in one day. Enjoy the rest of your trip Fergy.
Posted on: Apr 11, 2017