Cafe Natasha's Kabob International

3200 South Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO, USA

Cafe Natasha's Kabob International Saint Louis Reviews

sukiyakihotsake sukiyaki…
Jul 15, 2007
Cafe Natasha's Kabob International specializes in Persian cuisine that I had visted with a friend for lunch. On entering we found ourselves in a large dinning area with a bar dominating one side with hookas on the counter. On two sides, trimming the expansive windows, were whispy, colorful drapes similar to something a bellydancer might wave infront of you while giving you a show. The other wall had an opening into a larger dinning area that I assume would be used for the dinner crowds. There was soft Arabic instrumental music playing on the sound system, which was a perfect accompanyment to the scents drifting to us from the kitchen behind the bar.

Service was prompt, with a young woman seating us and informing us that she could explain anything on the menu to us if we would need it. To start off my friend got a garden salad with feta cheese and I had shirazi with Turkish tea. The shirazi was described as a salad (though had more of a fresh salsa consistancy) made of cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion with herbs and lemon juice. Served with sliced pitabread it was light and refreshing. The tea had a slight cadamom scent to it and was served at just the right temperture; hot, but not so hot that I couldn't drink it or hold the cup. You know, like alot of places serve coffee so hot that you have to wait 10 minutes before you can even take a sip.

All the entrees could be served one of three ways you chose; wrapped in a pita with vegetables, ontop of your choice of rice, or on a garden salad. We both went with Falafel, though I chose it wraped in a pita and my sister had it on rice pilaf with raisens, lentils, and a grilled tomato. The falafel balls were deep-fried to perfection; they were neither burnt nor inundated with oil (the sign of cooking a food at too low a temperture. Deep-fried food that is cooked at the right temperture will have almost no greaseyness to it at all, and if you didn't know it was deep-fried you may guess it was baked.) Wraped up with my falafel was lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, peppers, and feta cheese with a yogurt sauce. I also added a condiment known as sumac, which the waitress described as a ground up plant seasoning. It added a nice hint of sourness to my wrap. My friends dish looked wonderful as well and was served with a cucumber sauce and tahini sauce on the side. It was hard to resist asking for a bite of the grilled roma tomato nestled ontop of the white and saffron colored rice pilaf.

All of this for only 26 bucks wasn't bad at all. The food was fantastic. The falafel entree is only 6 bucks, with feta cheese being a dollar extra. Next time I'll have to try the Turkish Coffee and pickled garlic (aged 5 years!). Oh, and you were probably wondering about those hookas on the bar? For 12 bucks you can indulge in flavored tobacco smoked out of the marvelous water filtered contraption. It does sound like alot, but when you figure you'd most likely go in on it with at least one other person and that the block of tobacco would last a while, it's not a bad deal.
Amy792 says:
Sounds fun! I'll have to check it out when I'm out there!
Posted on: May 30, 2008