Cafe Maspero

(504) 523-6250

Cafe Maspero New Orleans Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
An Okay Dining Experience Mar 04, 2011
The reviews for Cafe Maspero said that the food was worth standing in line, which we did. It's first come, first served service here, with no reservations taken. I don't know what all the fuss is about, though. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. I ordered the veggie muffaletta because the regular muffaletta looked absolutely humongous. The sandwich was good, a monster itself. The veggie muffaletta consisted of the olive salad with melted Swiss cheese served with french fries. I bet the bun was a good 8 inches across and it was packed to the gills. Even though I wanted to, I just couldn't eat all of it!

I guess part of Cafe Maspero's poopularity is its ambiance. It is located in the French Quarter, on Decatur Street in one of the oldest buildings, having been built in 1788. It's the site that Andrew Jackson met to plan the Battles of New Orleans during the American Civil War. The restaurants decor is true to the time period, with exposed brick walls, wrought iron and wood tables.

Our waitress wasn't overly friendly, even balking a little when we needed a little more time to look over the menu. The restaurant was busy, packed even, with a line around teh corner, but that is no excuse for rude service.

An okay dining experience, I wouldn't make a special trip to go back to Cafe Maspero.
Cafe Maspero
vulindlela says:
Ok, that is sad to hear because this was my favorite restaurant down there.
Their fried crawfish was the best I have had.
Posted on: Mar 04, 2011
up4anything901 up4anyth…
decent food, good atmosphere Jun 26, 2009
i tried the red beans and rice. they're good enough to write home about. i really enjoyed them. the catfish and shrimp was another story. they were very bland. this was the second place that i ordered the catfish. both places were bland. maybe its just how they cook it new orleans.

to me, this place was as much about atmosphere as it was food. table by an open window on a nice sunny day with a gentle cool breeze. i sat and slowly ate while alternately enjoying the side walk and view and a new book.

i'll go back but i'll skip the catfish and this time get one of those HUGE muffaletta's

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals