Cafe Indochine

(613) 241-6378

Cafe Indochine Ottawa Reviews

writer-sam writer-s…
Affordable Vietnamese food that's just incredible Apr 21, 2012
Cafe Indochine is situated near Byward Market, and at first glance looks pretty unprepossessing. My friend and I wandered in on a rainy early Saturday evening to find a clean, split-level little place. The decor is classic and simple and our waitress was extremely welcoming, friendly and hospitable.

The menu has an excellent choice of dishes, both meat and veggie, and every single dish sounds divine - it took us about 20 minutes to finally decide! My friend chose the rice shrimp rolls to start, with beef saté and rice for her main. I went for the Vietnamese beef noodle soup with sirloin and brisket, followed by beef saté with noodles.

The entire meal was by far one of the best I've ever tasted, full stop. The soup was simply incredible, a clear beef broth filled with noodles, spring onions, beansprouts, pieces of meat and herbs. The taste was pure and delicious, and I really am going back for seconds before I go home! My friend's shrimp rolls had a delicate but defined taste, accentuated by the fresh herbs inside.

My beef saté was spicy and tasty, with nice chunks of beef, plenty of noodles, and beansprouts, spring onions and cucumber on the side. Again - the taste was heavenly and I happily ate through almost all of the bowl!

The portions are most definitely NOT stingy and the food arrives nicely presented. The service was brilliant - attentive without rushing us or hovering over us. The decor is understated and welcoming; the restaurant itself is clean and inviting; the service is fantastic; and the food is simply incredible.

Soup, main and a soft drink came to $22.60 CAD, but from the taste alone they could easily have charged twice that much. If you're coming to Ottawa make sure to come here for a relaxing and absolutely delicious Vietnamese meal - I genuinely cannot praise this place highly enough.

Check Ottawa Hotel Deals