Cafe Hawelka

6 Dorotheergasse, Vienna, Austria - 01 5128230

Cafe Hawelka Vienna Reviews

Kju Kju
Oldest viennese coffeehouse Aug 21, 2009
Cafe Hawelka my most famous coffeehouse here in Vienna. It's a time travel to go there!!!

This cafe is a part of Vienna and its tradition since 1939. It's not alone popular because his good viennese coffee the Wiener Melange. No it's popular because the interior design and the equimpent were not changed till today! Remember since 1939!!! Unfortunately "Hawelka" had to be closed during the II. world war. It was a miracle that it wasn’t much destroyed. It survived without considerable damage! So it was opened again.

The little old-viennese coffeehouse was opened by Leopold and Josefine Hawelka. Now the son (Guenter) and the grandchildren (Amir and Michael) doing the business.

Some helpful tips when you go there:

- There is no sign to the toilet, walk behind to the coffeemashine it's on the right side (behind the red curtain)

- They have no menu

- The waiter have to be unfriendly!!!

- Don't forget the establishment are from 1939 so don't be shocked when you came in!

- It's open everyday except Tuesday

- You get traditional coffee and cakes there
Café Hawelka
Now they doing the business Amir,…
Grandson Amir
old school pic with Leopold Hawelk…
flying_dolphin7 says:
Great review and thanks for bringin me there to this cafe bcozi also coffee nuts!!!!!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2009
tm16dana tm16dana
Cafe Hawelka Jun 17, 2007
Tired from walking around the city center of Vienna, I just remembered that I have seeing on internet a tip about this cafe. Is one of oldest in the city and I can say now that must not being missed. I just stepped back in time while being there, in some period I was not even born. They kept it as long time ago, didn't improve the decoration style. But that is wonderful actually. And the waiters are so nice. The owner comes there each morning to drink the coffee and read the newspaper.

When you go there, try the house special coffee, you will not forget it :-))) Enjoy!
dieforu says:
want that coffe!!:-)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Cafe Hawelka

A beautiful day with Ket, Christine & Sab
We had a great weather and it was a sunny day good for our Vienna guests Ket from Holland and Christine from Singapur. I met the both at St. Stephans Cathedral and i want to show the both s…Hawelka the oldest Cafe in Vienna (look at my review) No way Vienna is the city from the Viennese…
Last day in Vienna - meeting some TB members;p
Times flies, my 2weeks holidays in Eastern Europe almost end:(  Before i came to Vienna, Ket told me he might visit Vienna again same time as mine too. So i texted him to confirm when and where …Vienna and broughts us to the very old fashion coffee house called Cafe Hawelka whereby Ket wanted to go Starbucks…

Check Vienna Hotel Deals