Cafe Firenze

563 West Los Angeles Ave, Moorpark, CA, USA

Cafe Firenze Moorpark Reviews

Eric Eric
Good Italian Food, but Far Away Aug 28, 2009
Came here with some friends and Lisa, who wanted to try it out because the owner/chef is from the TV show Top Chef, and apparently a fan favorite. I don't watch the show, but I like good Italian food, so I was excited to give this place a try.

The setting of the restaurant is a bit odd. First of all, it's located in Moorpark, which is a good hour's drive outside of LA, among dry, rolling hills. Second, it's located in a unimpressive strip-mall. Third, the building that houses the restaurant itself is massive and square from the outside, but decorated to look like an Italian villa from the inside. Despite the size, there was hardly an empty seat in the restaurant.

I ordered the "Maltagliati Amatriciana" -- "Fresh pasta with tomato, pancetta, red onion, parsley, chili flakes and Pecorino Cheese" . I really liked eating Bucatini Alla'matriciana when I lived in Rome, so I try to order it in any Italian restaurant I go to in the states, to see how it compares.

I had no idea what Maltagliati was before ordering, but apparently it is the biggest, flattest pasta in the world. According to another website I just looked at, it is the haphazard remnants of other pasta pieces, but to me it looked just like giant noodles of Chow Fun.

For dessert, I had a fruit sorbet with sugar cookies. This was really good and probably my favorite part of the meal. See the pictures and you'll see what I mean!

Anyway, the food was good. Not as good as Bucatini, but probably better than 60% of the other Amatriciana's I've tried. Overall, this restaurant seemed good, and I'm very glad we tried it out, but given it's location, I don't think I'd drive out all the way again to Moorpark for seconds.
Maltagliati Amatriciana. Photo sto…
My dessert! Photo stolen from my f…
KeikoCreative says:
So in states is called chow fun, I guess in other parts of the world called it hor fun:P
Posted on: Aug 29, 2009