Cafe Boulud

20 East 76th Street, New York, NY, USA

Cafe Boulud New York Reviews

mrgishi mrgishi
Another Excellent Dining Experience from Daniel Boulud Jun 07, 2012
Cafe Boulud is one of several Daniel Boulud restaurants that are less formal and less expensive than his grand flagship, Daniel. It is located in the lovely boutique hotel, The Surrey. My girlfriend and I had a lovely dinner as well as breakfast at Cafe Boulud while staying at The Surrey. The menu is divided into four sections: La Tradition (traditional French dishes); La Saison (seasonal dishes); La Potager (fresh from the market); and Le Voyage (international dishes). You can pick and choose from any portion of the menu or have a 7 course tasting menu. I started with an appetizer from the daily special menu of poached maya shrimp with cucumbers, watercress and poblano chili. The shrimp was perfectly cooked and every bite was bursting with fresh flavors. For my main course, I had a New York strip steak with bone marrow crust, asparagus, spring onions, pommes dauphine, blue cheese and sauce au poivre. The pommes dauphine and sauce au poivre absolutely made this dish. My girlfriend enjoyed her kale salad and striped bass en paupiette. The bass was perfectly cooked, light and tender. For dessert, I had a black forest dark chocolate mousse with cherries and nougat ice cream accompanied with a glass of Banyuls. My girlfriend had molten chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream. It was interesting to watch the chocolate top melt and cave in from the heat of the molten cake. Many people were eating at the outdoor tables for both lunch and dinner, but we ate inside. The room is moderately decorated in a modern style. It is fairly small, but the noise level was never an issue.

No reservations were necessary for Sunday breakfast. My girlfriend had the continental which came with a croissant, hardboiled egg, yogurt parfait and seasonal fruits. I had brioche French toast with orange butter and passion fruit syrup. An excellent way to start the day it the city!
black forest dark chocolate mousse…
2 Kellys at Cafe Boulud