Café le Journal

Utrecht, Netherlands

Café le Journal Utrecht Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Oct 29, 2007
Café le Journal is in Utrecht, near the Dom, adn I have now eaten there twice and had several happy coffees or beers in the pavement part, before it got so cold.

The food at lunch is good - Onionsoup is about 5€ and comes with cheese on toast, asndwiches are about 6€, and all the food is well cooked and nicely presented. The dinner menu looks kind of pricey for a café - about 18€ per course - but I haven't been there at night so I won't comment on whether it's worth it.

The café itself is pleasant, with a lot of space, nice high ceilings, a long reading table and clean toilets. The service was very, very slow. I can live with that if I'm having a coffee on a terrace, but it was kind of annoying on a week day for lunch, especially as there were three staff on and nowhere near a full house. All three of them seemed to be serving the same corner.

But despite that, I'd go back again.

PS I took one of their stars away. We went back and had to do the physically going and finding the waitress thing AND the conspicuosly putting your coats on and heading for the door thing before we got the check, and it wasn't that busy. You should never have to pull both tricks.
sarahelaine says: