Café 2000

34 Rue Joseph Junck, Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Café 2000 Luxembourg Reviews

planxty planxty
How did I miss it? Apr 23, 2017
I have mentioned in numerous other reviews on my Luxembourg pages that I was staying in an area close to the main train station and which was, like so many others all over Europe, a little bit "on the wild side". I had taken myself on several evening rambles and taken in several great little bars where I had certainly had some interesting experiences but for some reason I had managed to miss the Bar 2000. This was unusual as it was literally across the road from my hotel door. Truth be told, I could have thrown a stone from my hotel window and probably smashed the front window it was that close. Well, that had to be rectified and it was.

I took myself in there after a well deserved lie-in and it really was situation normal for bars in the Low Countries which this journal started off being (it gets a bit silly later). I walked past four guys outside smoking and into a completely empty bar. Certainly, I had to retreat outside for a smoke later on and had a bit of a friendly word with them but what was most apparent was that none of them were what I would have described as indigenous Luxembourgois. This really is an immigrant area with people from the Eastern Meditteranean and central Africa predominant. Doesn't bother me, I travel and I had long since sussed the sort of area I was in.

Up to the bar and ordered a Diekirch beer. I had noted that bars in Luxembourg were divided into two camps, Diekirch and Bofferding. I am by inclination a cider drinker and lagers all taste much the same to me but if you put a gun to my head I would have to say that I marginally prefer Bofferding although there is little to choose between them. I suppose it is just whatever brewery they are "tied" to as UK landlords refer to it.

There really is little to say about the bar. It is modern, functional, spotlessly clean, has great service, immaculate facilities and well-kept and served beer. What more would a man want? Well, a little atmosphere would have been nice but it was early afternoon on a very chilly April Sunday and the football (soccer) which is so popular here was not on until the evening. I suspect it got a lot busier later on. The server was charm personified and even put up with my totally execrable French which was almost unbelievably getting a bit better but still nowhere up to par.

What else is there to say about Bar 2000? Not a lot really. In an area with so many bars / cafes / brasseries and the like it is certainly not lacking. I suspect the competition keeps them all on their toes and, whilst nothing special it would be churlish of me not to recommend it.
How did I miss this?
Not the best but decent enough.

Check Luxembourg Hotel Deals