Cadair Idris

Dolgellau, Wales

Cadair Idris Dolgellau Reviews

davidx davidx
Popular isolated range Nov 22, 2010
It was some time before I realised that Cadair (or Cader) Idris was in the Snowdonia National Park - it's so far south and isolated from the rest. I refuse to get into any silly argumant about how it cmpares to the three main groups of Snowdon, Glyders and Carnedds. I have been less to Cadair Idris but that is simply a matter of geography. Forget comparisons and just think of it as a spectacular mountain range in its own right.

Unusually, I have given a website with just a single route up. So for once I am expressing a preference. I think this is a really wonderful route, leading on a woodland path to Llyn (lake) Cau. This is the centre of a cirque of mountains, as described on the website.

I have never been up without meeting anybody - although I have never had to queue like on the Snowdon Horseshoe route (review coming). Once I walked into the shelter on the sumit to find a couple changing their baby's nappy (diaper, I am told, to some!) Talk about starting them young.

Both of the first occasions on which I went up the mist came down to deprive me of the view from the top, only to have the tops clearly outlined before we were back to the road - very irksome but at least it made sure that I should go again - and I did and it's great.

Check Dolgellau Hotel Deals