Cabinas Lika

Check Puerto Viejo de Talamanca Hotel Deals

Cabinas Lika Puerto Viejo de Talamanca Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Cheap, Clean And Close To All The Action May 26, 2012
There is no shortage of places to stay in Puerto Viejo, and if you read the guidebooks or talk to travelers who have just came from there they will probably steer you towards either Rocking J’s or Hostel Pagalu. My pre-trip research convinced me that Hostel Pagalu was the better of the two, but by the time we got there they had no beds or rooms available. Hostel Pagalu is new and very popular; it is often full by 10am even during the slow season. The employee who gave us the bad news at the front desk of Pagalu suggest we check out Cabinas Lika (or ‘Like Bird’ as I hear the locals call it) which is right next door to Pagalu. It turned out to be perfectly fine and even a little bit cheaper. We happily stayed there for 5 nights, and if I ever go back to Puerto Viejo I’d definitely stay there again.

The owner of Cabinas Lika is Roberto. He is very friendly, fluent in English and easy going. He gave us a double air-con room with private bath for the low-season price of $20 bucks per night. (I think the high season price is $30 per night, still a decent price) Normally I hate using air condition and don’t want to pay for the luxury, but it ended up being a great thing to have after a full day of beach and sun and a full night of drinking and dancing. And since I was traveling with a friend it was only ten bucks each per night, which was awesome!

The place is very close to town, unlike Rocking J’s which is much further out on its own. I loved being able to easily wander home after a late night. The room was large and contained a double bed, a single bunk-bed, a couple of shelves and a table . The sink is situated in the back of the room between the shower area and the toilet area so you can brush your teeth or stare at yourself in the mirror even if someone is showering or taking a dump. There is only a curtain that separates the shower and the toilet area from the room, so it works best if you are extremely comfortable with your traveling companion. If you aren’t, you can use the shared bathrooms across the hall. Hot water comes from suicide showerheads and they get damn hot, almost too hot. In front of each room there is a hammock and a clothes line which is useful for hanging your wet beach clothes.

There is no breakfast available and the kitchen is small, but we found it very usable. There are 2 full sized refrigerators for guests to use - 1 works normally and the other functions merely as an insect-proof pantry. The Megasuper grocery store is only about 100 meters away, and there are many great places to eat nearby as well, including a great ‘soda’ directly across the street. Next to the kitchen is an area that has 2 computers available for internet access. While hostel Pagalu is certainly newer and shinier (and has dorm rooms), if you are traveling with someone else I’d still suggest staying at Cabinas Lika and using the money you will save for some extra drinks. Lika Bird is a great place to stay in a great location.
View of the room from the entryway
The sink is separate from the show…
Suicide Showerhead and rubber duck…

Check Puerto Viejo de Talamanca Hotel Deals