CabanaCopa Hostel

CabanaCopa Hostel Rates and Deals

CabanaCopa Hostel Rio de Janeiro Reviews

delfinerosado delfiner…
Great location,staff,food,bar,etc... May 16, 2011
It's a great place to stay in Rio. I have stayed in different places there too but they all sucked. This hostel is not the cheapest but really good value for what it is!It looks more like a hotel, the breakfast is all you can eat like, staff great, location like 5 min from the beach.Totally recommend!
lululalu lululalu
Awesome stay in CabanaCopa Hostel Apr 11, 2010
I've had a few TBers messaged me asking about traveling in Rio so I'll start with a hostel review.

I stayed in CabanaCopa Hostel in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro from Dec 29-Jan 5, 2010. I wanted to stay in Ipanema as I read it was safer than Copa but since I booked in September for NYE, all the ones I wanted were sold out already. If you are thinking of going on NYE, I cannot stress enough to book early. No worries, Copacabana is safe just dont wander alone at night.

Airport transfer going to the hostel was part of my 4-night package. My luggage was delayed for over an hour and I was afraid the driver would leave but he was there patiently waiting for me when I got out. It was rush hour traffic and although the driver cant speak any English, he engaged me in a conversation and had a Portuguese 101 crash course. One can arrange for transport back to the airport for R$50 flat rate through the hostel. Cabs are around the same price, the radio taxis are more expensive.

VALUE: I paid $80 USD per night as it was during NYE and they had 4 night minimum. Other hostel were charging 5 night minimum for $100+ per night. Additional night was R$40. It was worth it. I stayed in a 9-bed dorm and there was enough space for 9 females and our junk.

LOCATION: It's in a secured neighborhood meaning there's a check stop and random cars cannot go in and out of the area. CabanaCopa is on a little hill and some may find it a nuisance at the end of a long day of sightseeing but it did not bother me. The Arcoverde metro station and bus stops are a block away. Lots of places to eat and grocery stores nearby. If you wanna know the exact location, it's 3 blocks behind Cobacabana Palace Hotel.

CLEANLINESS: The housekeepers were great (Magda's a sweetheart). Beds were made everyday and the communal bathrooms were clean and well-stocked by morning.

SAFETY: There were huge lockers (big enough for a backpack) to stow your belongings in the room. You also get a key to your room as they lock behind you. Entrance gate is locked; there's a guard at the front desk at night; and security cameras on every floor.

BED: It was a 2-bed bunk as opposed to 3 tiered Ive seen advertised in other hostels. The mattress was firm and had a mattress cover. The linens were white and crisp. There's also enough hooks to hang your stuff and a night lamp on each bed.

LOUDNESS: Our room was by the tv room but the air conditioning muffled the outside noise. The bar downstairs closes at 11pm and that's when everyone goes out to party.

STAFF: The staff were helpful and love to socialize/ interact with the guests. I saw Ian (owner) stop by almost everyday and even met his mom.

BREAKFAST: More than a continental breakfast. They had baked goods, cereal, fresh fruits, ham and cheese, coffee, tea, juice... served at 9am so it may not work for early risers.

What I liked most about the hostel is their bulletin board. Every basic info is listed and well layed out (activities, bus schedules, routes, tours)... it made it super easy to navigate around the city. You just pick what you feel like doing and you can either join a group tour or explore on your own.

They only have 2 computers but wifi is free.

They allowed me to checkout late as well.

Some rooms did not have air-condition but I think they are installing soon in all rooms. Ensure you ask for one as it is a must during 40+ degrees Celsius!
TV room at night. Big windows over…
9-bed female dorm (fully occupied)…
back