Büyükada

Istanbul, Turkey

Büyükada Istanbul Reviews

irenem irenem
The Princes Islands - Buyukada Feb 25, 2017
Büyükada means Big Island. It is the largest of the Princes Islands and the one that tourists are most likely to visit.

Büyükada has some beautiful old wooden houses, hotels, restaurants and shops. Restaurants here often rip tourists off so be careful. There is an old wooden clock tower in the centre of town. Many rich residents of Istanbul have summer houses here.

You can go round the island by phaeton, but we always walked. It is a pleasant walk past old wooden houses with beautiful gardens and, although it is hot, there is some shade from the many pine trees. You will pass picnic sites and barbecue sites on your walk.

We normally headed for the hilltop monastery and church of St George. An old Greek priest still performed services here. Next to the monastery there was a wonderful outdoor restaurant which we frequently ate in.

Once we were there with a guest on St George's Day. A large crowd was there celebrating. They had ordered food and drink and they were dancing. Suddenly someone danced with someone else's woman and a huge fight broke out. When the poor waiter arrived with their food, there was not an intact piece of furniture left to

put the food on. In fact the only intact furniture was our table at which we were sitting open-mouthed. Meanwhile everyone who had been fighting had made up with each other and they all strode away with their arms around each other leaving chaos behind them.

To get to the monastery involved climbing the island's highest hill. Phaetons cannot get up it. Some people went up by donkey. We always walked. The trees on the way up had white ribbons or tissue or bits of plastic bag tied on them for making wishes.

Leon Trotsky lived on Büyükada for four years from 1929 to 1933 after he was deported from the Soviet Union in February 1929.
Restaurant near the monastery
Phaetons
The Monastery of Saint George
The restaurant next to the monaste…
Trendydiva Trendydi…
A place worth visiting Dec 27, 2014
Prior to going to traveling I usually research things to do/places to visit. I wanted to do something that wasn't too common. I stumbled on Prince ISland, I thought it looked quite archaic. I was intrigued when I found out cars weren't allowed. After I did the usual sightseeing in IStanbul I went to Kabatas and hopped on a ferry to Prince Island. The ferry ride was rather lonng-90 mins. I was fighting to stay up but I ended up falling asleep, I finally woke up after my head went so far back and I heard my glasses fall. Anyways, its peaceful, you can either walk up the hill or hire a horse & carriage. Plenty of seaside dining and beautiful views.
FurkanS says:
nice place :)
Posted on: Aug 23, 2015
Trendydiva says:
Thanks, its a nice escape from the busy city
Posted on: Feb 07, 2015