Buying a Pakistani SIM Card

Karachi, Pakistan

Buying a Pakistani SIM Card Karachi Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Your persistence will pay off Jul 10, 2012
I decided to get a local prepaid SIM card for my phone to ease my travels in Pakistan, eg:

* Being able to ring ahead to check on hotel availability.

Ringing a hotel so they could speak to the rickshaw or taxi driver and give directions.

* Having a local number so that Pakistan Airlines could ring me to confirm my mountain flight.

Well, finding somewhere that sold a SIM pack was difficult but I manage to get one near the Mobile Market in Saddar, Karachi. Most places didn't have them and I nearly fell over when I found one (but the seem to be quite common in some smaller towns in the far north). I opted for Telenor as I read that SMS to my home country is more reliable.

SIM packs are not pre-activated and I had to get this done and also be registered at Telenor. I was sent to a franchise office at first but they couldn't do it. Then I got sent to the Clifton office and this was done easily with a six working hour activation delay.

Unfortunately, there I couldn't make or receive calls even after activation. The call centre couldn't see the problem and I had to email the manager (who introduced himself to me at the office) and it was resolve pretty quickly.

Calling services are cheap. Top-ups are easily available everywhere.

Data is 2.5G (EDGE) in some cities and good old 2G (GPRS) rural including most places on the Karakoram Highway that I visited. It is adequate (sometimes slow) for downloading emails and posting updates on facebook.

Data packages (self-service via USSD *# codes) are much cheaper than the casual data rate.

In summary:

* Find someone who sells the SIM pack.

* Have it activated and registered at an office (not a franchise).

Enjoy.