Bus Hostel

Check Reykjavik Hotel Deals

Bus Hostel Reykjavik Reviews

shavy shavy
Friendly staff Sep 16, 2017
When doing my research for accommodations in Iceland I came to different price category. Iceland is not really for budget traveler in my opinion, so I did a lot of research for accommodations. As we rent a car on this trip, I'm searching a place to stay with parkings, and I came to different price categories in Reykjavik, but I choose this hostel as it is situated in a quite place. I see at booking. com they have private room but is pricey

We visited Iceland on August which was a peak season and I heard the accommodations are quite expensive - so I reserved our accommodation far in advance as I heard of our friends who visited on the same period in August they said booking in advance is highly recommended, and I don't want to be end up sleeping on the street or in the car.

In this trip I booked different types of accommodation - B&B, airb&nb, apartments, hostel, hotel, dormitory, guesthouses. Iceland in general is expensive and preparing our meal sometimes it helped to minimise costs

The hostel doesn't look very impressive from the outside, my first impression when we arrived - what an ugly place? but once we're inside I'm impressed of the huge lobby which was nice and clean and very organized. Bus Hostel in Reykjavik was really good, I'm so impressed of their staff- they are very friendly and helpful.

The smiling face of personnel at the counter, a very welcoming like 'hey guys welcome to our beautiful country' I'm so overwhelmed!. One of the best thing to feel you at home when see people like that

And they had a lot informations about Iceland, and you are free to asked anything, staff were knowledgeable to asnwer all the questions

I booked a dormomitory for our first night in Iceland. Looks like the cheapest room I found in Reykjavik. I know this wasn't for us - we hadn't sleep yet in dormitory, so this is our first time. Nice to experience once in a lifetime and to feel how is liked.

We were liked too old for this kind of accommodation, so this is an exceptional case in Iceland, and also this is the only we can afford lol.

When I see the communal area I said to myself we were the oldest in this place. However, I'm far from my thoughts and we consider ourselves for once not too old haha.

Check-in goes very well, a guy in the counter explained how everything works inside, he asked if we need some towels and sheets, but we were prepared we have our own

Beakfast is included which is a self service in the kitchen. The shared kitchen is clean and well organized. There is a bar inside where you can order drinks, but the beer is not really cheap

One of the staff show us to our room - is a dorm for six people. Two beds were occupied already, so there were a few beds available. I choose a bed below when I see the bed on the upperside were a little too high for me. The bunkbeds were clean but no extra sheet, you can rent if you need one, but we had our sleeping bag with us, so it was good enough.

Inside the room we had lockers which was really necessary to stored your valuables just don't forget to closed when get out. The shared bathroom is right next door clean and spacious. Towels are not included, you can rent on site. We had our own towels this time

Free wifi is available in communal area and works very fast. Is a pity it didn't work inside the room

The hostel has a big parking and for people doesn't have a car, they arrange tours and bus tickets to other destination in Iceland

The city center is nearby a few minutes walk, but some of the museums are quite far from there, so we used our car. For the price of this hostel it wasn't so bad, sleeping in a shared room is not really for us, some young people coming very late at night and I could heard them talking, so sleeping in a communal area is not very easy if you are not use to it.
The hostel
Lobby
Lobby
Hallway to rooms
tombom07 tombom07
Good value Reykjavik hostel digs Nov 08, 2017
My friend & I booked a stay of four nights at 'Bus Hostel' in Reykjavik, early September 2017. We slept in a four-bed dorm room.

Bus Hostel seemed like a lively choice, although as Reykjavik is so popular perhaps all hostels here are usually close to fully booked. We arrived toward the end of peak season.

It was a close, easy walk from the bus depot, and about a 20-minute-walk from the hostel into the heart of Reykjavik. We arrived early in the morning and were understandably unable to check-in, but we made the most of the luggage room, freshened up in the bathrooms, charged our phones, picked up a map and spoke to a very friendly staff member to get some local advice.

The common area/bar is pretty cool and fancy looking with lots of comfortable seating. You can pay for breakfast here (800 krona for coffee and a plate of bagels, other options were available) but it's cheaper to self-cater. The rest of the hostel was clean and clinical looking. I didn't notice any free tea or coffee for use, although wifi was of course free throughout the hostel.

I noticed one kitchen downstairs from the common area, but the one my friend & I used was on the second floor where our room was. The kitchen was clean, sizeable and had plenty of storage space in cupboards and fridges, as well as amenities like a kettle, an oven, hobs and a microwave. There were also several tables and chairs to sit at, so it's ideal for self-catering, which is a good idea for the budget traveller in Iceland.

The communal bathrooms (there were at least five on our floor) were large, clean and well-kept, with great high pressure showers. Our room was spacious and had one large locker per guest. You need to pay a 1000 krona deposit for a locker key. Towels are also available to rent if you need.

Important: Annoyingly, it also costs 1000 krona for a duvet. You pay once regardless of how many nights you are staying. I've never experienced this in all my years of hostel stays so I found it unusual, but it mostly annoyed me because when we booked online (Booking dot com), neither my friend or I remember being informed about this hidden charge. I could have understood if it was for an extra duvet as Iceland is a cold country (it goes without saying really) but I found it a bit ridiculous. It didn't help that the girl who was on reception at the time was rather cold and not very approachable. I purchased a duvet, my friend didn't. The bunk beds were rather comfortable and the rooms were well warmed with central heating but I would have found it uncomfortable sleeping without one. This loses a point for me. If you take a sleeping bag or know to expect this, you won't have any issues.

Other than that minor annoyance I had no problems with the hostel. It was clean, comfortable and well-located. We paid a little over £30 each per night for the dorm, which I found to be one of the cheapest prices in Reykjavik and so it was pretty good value for money. It would have been perfect if breakfast was included but it was easy enough to shop at local supermarkets and fend for ourselves.

The travel desk was stacked with brochures for local attractions, and there's also a separately staffed part of the reception area where you can sort out car rental.
Bar/common area of Bus Hostel, Rey…
Bar/common area of Bus Hostel, Rey…
Our four-bed-dorm, Bus Hostel, Rey…
Our four-bed-dorm, Bus Hostel, Rey…
davejo davejo
Jun 17, 2015
I was a little hesitant when I booked this hostel online a few months ago, but I could not have made a better choice. On arrival I was shown my bed, bathroom, kitchen as well as being given directions to downtown, a fifteen minute walk. The bathrooms, dormitory were exceptionally clean, as well as the kitchen where guests could cook. There are also 3 refrigerators for guestscas well as a shelf with food that visitors have left behind. There is a bar which offers a happy hour, and a well decorated lounge, with even a few antiques. There is also a travel desk and many tourist leaflets. A nice touch is the free toast and jam that îs available for guests each morning before they venture out in to the cold air. This is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at in my 45 years of traveling and have no problem recommending it.
the Bus Hostel
the bar
the dormitory
the lounge
Airpunk says:
Looks like a great place, especially since Reykjavik is prohibitely expensive when it comes to accomodation.
Posted on: Jan 28, 2017