Burrell Collection

2060 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Burrell Collection - **DISCLAIMER!  This is a stock picture from the BBC - I did not take this picture (sadly all my pics from the Burrell are still stuck just on film - I have to fix that!!)

Burrell Collection Glasgow Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Burrell Collections Aug 06, 2012
The Burrell Collection is a small museum in a beautiful country park in Glasgow. Founded by a private collector and gifted to the nation, it’s one of these wonderfully eccentric collections of stuff that someone very rich liked. This means that the collection includes some stunning impressionist paintings, some coats of armour, some Chinese ceramics, a couple of Egyptian bits and (fittingly considering I visited it in 2012), an enormous medieval tapestry depicting Hercules at the Olympic Games.

The collection is fascinating, and has some interesting display boards with information about what you are looking at, and when I was there, there was also a display about uncovering art frauds, including some that the museum had fallen for over the century or so the collection has existed. The building is brand new, light and modern, and there is plenty of space around the exhibits so you can actually see things. There is also, of course, a tea room and a gift shop.

Disabled access downstairs would be excellent, and I don’t think you’d have a problem upstairs either. The relatively small size of the collection makes it a good place to take children, who could see a lot before they got too distracted. The park surrounding the museum has a collection of beautiful Highland cows, a large play park, pretty walks, and often an ice cream van. The Highland Cows are a definite attraction in their own right, in fact. Who doesn’t like ginger cows with enormous horns? I saw a lot of happy children watching the cows, and it’s probably an excellent way to bribe them into behaving whilst you look at some art (“if you’re good we can go and visit the cows” – would have worked on me when I was six!).

The collection is a little way out of central Glasgow. Parking is £1 all day (summer 2012), and admission to the museum is free. They ask for a donation, and given that it’s a free museum and the collection really is very interesting, I think that’s perfectly fair. It’s also on public transport routes.
Amanda Amanda
Sep 10, 2006
While I am not what I would consider a "museum junkie", I can really enjoy a great museum from time to time; and The Burrell Collection really falls into this category!

Just outside of Glasgow, this museum also has an interesting history; the pieces it houses were originally owned by Sir William Burrell, who owed them personally - it was one of the largest personal collections in the world. When he died, he willed it to the city of Glasgow, but with several conditions: one of the most important being that the collection needed to be housed 16 miles outside of the city, to protect it from pollution, and to my understanding to also assure it a more aesthetically pleasing setting. It took over 20 years to find an acceptable site, and even then some of the requirements had to be waived to make it work; but the result is magnificent; the building, which is a result of an architectural competition of localarchitects, is stunning. I can tell you that I thought that the way the building worked with the art was incredible.

The artwork itselfhas amazing variety;the man collected EVERYTHING, and I think this is what kept my attention. There was something new around every curve; completely reconstructed rooms, beautiful paintings by Degas and Cezanne, all sorts of sculptures that were amazing, a ton of beautiful tapestries, ancient artifacts of all types, stained glass windows...

I can't really explain or justify why I was so impacted by this place. Maybe it was the dramatic snow storm outside that had driven us into the Burrell Collection to begin with; maybe it was the way this incredible building worked with the art. But my theory? I think that because this was a collection made by one man of things that moved HIM, it moves YOU - and it moved ME. Unlike other museums that use logic and value and facts to collect the pieces, this entire museum represents what mattered to one man; and it's something I will never forget.

Write me back after you go, I'd really love to hear from you.
**DISCLAIMER! This is a stock pic…

Check Glasgow Hotel Deals