Bungalows and Bears (Division Street)

The Old Fire Station, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Bungalows and Bears (Division Street) Sheffield Reviews

dougal dougal
Apr 27, 2007
Bungalows and Bears is a distinctly odd name for a bar and that theme of kookiness is carried through into the place itself.

Although it's a bar I've put it into the eateries review section because for this visit we were there for Friday lunch.

The place is a converted fire station and comprises of a large, possibly even cavernous, room with a circular bar at it's centre. The bar circles a raised area that looks down on the rest of the room and makes for an interesting layout.

The décor seems to be based on the idea of bring and buy / jumble sales with all the tables and chairs being obviously salvaged from junk. Where these second hand items would have been laughably dated in their previous home of a pensioners flat (no doubt) in here they add a distinctly cool New York style ambience to the place.

The menu was pretty extensive and once again the emphasis was on the cool and chic. Vegetarians were also handsomely catered for which is always a bonus.

The only real downside was the service was pretty ropey – the bar staff were reminiscent of rejected band members from The Strokes and seemed incapable of remembering an order from one minute to the next. The food then took a long time to arrive and still the order wasn't correct (they brought out a goats cheese salad to discover that they had forgotten to include the salad – a pretty vital part of the dish I would have assumed!)

Perhaps we hit it on an off day and I'll certainly give it another go as the food itself was delicious once it came. All is not lost but there's a way to go guys.
Amanda says:
English people know how to handle pumpkin dishes?
dougal says:
No - it was some sort of grilled goats cheese (it wasn't my dish so I'm not 100 percent certain - I was having pumpkin and spinach pie). They turned up with a plate with a single lump of grilled goats cheese on it - no greens, no vegetables of any kind, not even any sauce or dressnig if I remember correct. As you say - how it got from kitchen to table in such a manner...
Amanda says:
odd.... were there tomatos? Anything at all? Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of goat cheese... but I'm trying to wrap my brain around the process of it going from getting plated, to being picked up, to being taken all the way to your table, and no one noticing something was amiss...

Check Sheffield Hotel Deals