Bumbershoot

Seattle Center, Seattle, WA, USA

Bumbershoot Seattle Reviews

cynthiasmiller cynthias…
Arts and music festival, totally worth it! Aug 27, 2011
Bumbershoot is an arts and music festival that Seattle puts on every year on Labor day weekend, from Saturday to Monday. You can see a little bit of everything here. There are some pretty big names in music present, but about 90% of the musicians are lesser-known. It's a great way of discovering new artists. Stand-up comedy is another large presence at the festival, but be prepared to wait in line for about an hour before shows. Otherwise, you can't guarantee you'll get a seat. You can also pick up tickets (for free) as soon as you enter the Seattle Center to guarantee a spot at the really big-name shows. You can also see dance acts, book readings, theater, and visual arts. While less popular, they are still available.

When you get hungry, there will be no shortage of food options available. Lots of local restaurants come to set up a stand at Bumbershoot, but they can be a little expensive. You have other options. You can leave (get your hand stamped to come back in!) and eat at one of the inexpensive Queen Anne restaurants, or you can bring a lunch and sit on the grass somewhere.

Monday is, in my opinion, the best day to go. It is much less crowded, but the big name acts are still around. I also suggest taking the bus or carpooling there. Traffic and parking will be a nightmare.
sydny sydny
Music in September May 29, 2011
I left my friend's wedding in Vancouver 3o minutes early to catch the bus to this show last year (I spent more than enough prep time before with her ;) ). It's out in Seattle Center by the Space Needle, so pretty easy to find. Tickets run generally from $30 to $400 depending on how many days you attend and the perks you want. The grounds are huge with several stages for music and performances, indoor gallery space, indie artists and vendors.

I was here for the last day and while the artists were a mixed bag, it was definitely fun checking out all the different bands. Definitely look up the artist you want to see beforehand and have some sort of plan.

Overall it was pretty good. I dropped by for Angelique Kidjo and she did not disappoint - even in the pouring rain. The vibe and the people are great. This is Seattle so come prepared with a raincoat or umbrella. Umbrellas are not sold on the ground and you most likely will be spotted as a tourist if you open one during the shows. I had a fantastic time and would highly recommend this if you're in the area in September.

Related Travel Blogs About Bumbershoot

Savannah is gorgeous!
We were really excited to visit Savannah as it was only 45 minutes away from Hilton Head. This would turn out to be my favorite city we visited for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Whoo!! More…Seattle about 5 years ago at Bumbershoot on my left hip and I loved it!! =) I don't think I'd ever…

Check Seattle Hotel Deals