Bum Steer Restaurant

www.bumsteer.com - 520-884-7377

Bum Steer Restaurant Tucson Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
The Burger Madness corner Oct 02, 2009
I can not begin to describe the inside of this “burger restaurant”. I have been to Bum Steer twice, all with my SAAC group members for happy hours organized for new members. Right after I returned from the Amsterdam meet-up in January, Boyd decided to welcome more new members to the group, the meet-up was a happy hour at Bum Steers. It is located on N Stone Avenue right close to the University of Arizona. It is well known for the tradition of burger and beer for the University students and believe me when I say, there is no bar in Tucson that has the same interior design that this restaurant has. The restaurant was formerly under a different management, but was reopened early in the year under new management who did quite a job refurbishing the bar, restaurant and utilities with all kinds of art on the wall especially world war II decorations. It actually looks like a jungle with so much “junk”, rubbish, the British would say. Bum Steers has a history with the University of Arizona, since it's opening in 1974, the famous half-pound burgers have fed college students on a budget with penny worth beer glasses to accompany the burgers.

I guess for someone with a weird taste, it amounts to crazy art: license plates, giant buffalo, a bike hanging from the roof, a stair case that lead to the top floor feels like you are being led to a guillotine. I did not eat as I came after dinner but I did drink, their drinks were reasonably priced , I paid $4.00 for my glass of Barcardi gold and cola. Mike and Joe ordered burgers and fries, the food looked impressive, but Joe commented on how bad it tasted (I was glad I did not order one). After about an hour of socializing, Andrew managed to drag me to dinner and I ended up eating a plate of well made barbequed pork (delicious)!

The service was incredible (not sure if it was because of the group we brought in), nonetheless it was fast and delicious. So I guess if you refrain from ordering the burger for which they are famous, you might have a great experience there. My plate was only $8.00 which by all means is cheap. The second floor of the restaurant has an open area with room to entertain families with children, there is a play arcade with games for children. Great place to watch some games and lets the kids play in the arcade. It is a great place for families, friends, large groups but definitely not for a date.

Here are the basics about Bum Steers:

*Mostly American Cuisine (burgers . . .)

*Opened Sunday through Thursday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm

*Opened Friday and Saturday from 11:00 am - 2:00 am

*They serve both lunch and dinner

*Price is average ranging from $3 - $9 for a meal

*Dress code is casual (jeans and a shirt or t-shirt goes

*Has a full bar serving both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks

*The bar style is more college based (University of Arizona)
Africancrab says:
I know right? The photos are under the blog/ happy hour blog. I will move them. Thanks for the comment Shaun. How is the going?
Posted on: Mar 17, 2010
geerbox says:
There used to be Bum Steer restaurants in Nebraska, but they weren't decorated as you describe! They must not be connected in any way; I think the NE places closed over 5 years ago or longer. Where's the photos? :)
Posted on: Mar 17, 2010