Budget London by foot

London, England

Budget London by foot Reviews

silan silan
Jun 14, 2006
In my opinion, the best way to see London is by walking around and seeing it on foot. Of course it's great to see the big sites like Big Ben and Buckinghman Palace, but my travel buddy and I had both been to London previously and wanted to explore a bit more of the true English culture and people.

Our improvised walking tour started at Trafalgar Square, covering The National Museum (a great, and free, stop for any museum and art lover), then quickly making our way to Leicester Square and Covent Garden to explore the sights and sounds of the market.

We took our time, strolling along the Thames towards the London Eye. There's no real need to go up, save some money and look at the views of the river and city from ground level (just as spectacular!). Watch the buskers on the promenade and the riverside view of some of the world's greatest architecture.

We then walked along the river to the rebuilt Globe Theatre. Any of the stops along the way are a great place to have lunch or sit and read to relax and appreciate the fact that you're in London!

The Tate Modern is a great modern art museum close to the Globe Theatre with free admission. It has some amazing exhibits and you can spend a while wandering the galleries, trying to figure out whether you understand a piece, or have just described in your head the plot of Armageddon and tried to apply it to art. Get in touch with your abstract side at this great museum!

After this, we walked over the Millenium Bridge to St. Paul's Cathedral. Unfortunately, the day we went, it was closed in preparationg for the Queen's birthday service, however, the steps in front of the cathedral are a great place to take a break and soak in the bustling atmosphere of the intersection. This may have been one of my favourite parts of visiting London on this trip. Janelle and I sat on the steps for about an hour, staring at the distinct reflection of the cathedral in the windows of an adjacent building, watching kids run and scream as they chase the poor pigeons in circles, watching the traffic run and stop with the lights, and watching tourist upon tourist smile and get that classic photograph in front of this hub of a building. It seemed at the time that all of London was passing by this very spot.

We walked back to Covent Garden to have dinner and meet my brother with whom we were going to see a show with. This is where the day got a little more expensive, however, choose your meal carefully and you can save a lot. Also, it's a great experience to see a show while in London. Shows on preview are a lot cheaper, for example, I saw Avenue Q for about 20 pounds, and it was fantastic!

This was a long and tiring day, but in the end, it was one of the best days I've ever spent while traveling, and cheap too! The aching feet and sore shoulders from backpacks were well worth that deep sleep you fall into as soon as your head hits the pillow.
the view from the steps of St. Pau…
look for the reflection of St. Pau…
St. Paul's Cathedral
rockprincesss says:
great walking tour.. thanks!
Posted on: Apr 01, 2008
MartenM says:
Thank you for this! It has been a great inspiration for a walking tour I've prepared.
Posted on: Aug 11, 2007