Buddy Guys Blues Bar

Chicago, Illinois

Buddy Guys Blues Bar Chicago Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Buddy Guy's Legends Aug 22, 2010
As a snark, the official name of the bar is Legends, and Buddy Guy is the legend who owns it.

Buddy Guy’s Legends is a Blues Bar in downtown Chicago, and I love it.

It was the one consistent recommendation I got from the concierge in my hotel, and by sheer fluke there had been a review in the Guardian before I went out too. I’m not a huge fan of the blues, although I like it, but I ended up going twice.

The Chicago Blues sound was the first electrified Blues, and as well as being important in its own right, its popularity inspired bands like Cream to incorporate blues elements in rock. Buddy Guy himself was a major influence on performers like Jimi Hendrix, as his music was even rawer and more unpredictable than most Chicago Blues. Buddy Guy’s Legends should be a point of pilgrimage for that alone.

The décor is basic, quite deliberately, and apart from the Blues memorabilia then until the music starts it can feel a bit like a big empty hall. But the food is excellent, focusing on food from the Southern states of the USA. Portions are huge and it tastes amazing, although it probably wouldn’t be great if you were a strict vegetarian. There is lovely beer and the waitress will take the time to help you pick.

There is a cover charge if you stay for the music, collected at your table. If you only come for dinner and leave before it's collected then you don't pay. It depends who’s playing but it was ten bucks each night I went. Both bands were incredible. There’s a pretty good sound system and the acoustics are fine, and most people sit round tables until it starts filling up. The booking policy seems incredibly high quality.

I would go back tomorrow if I wasn’t several thousand miles away. This is my top must-do piece of advice if you’re in Chicago.
windypeg windypeg
Jul 26, 2007
If you want real Chicago Blues then you have to visit Buddy Guys. There is a cover charge, and it can be standing room only on weekends or when someone big is performing, but the music is amazing and the atmosphere lets you know you are in the right place! Don't drive by during the day, it might scare you off! lol......not the prettiest place in the world, but its not about the looks, its about the Blues!

Check Chicago Hotel Deals