Budapest in November

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest in November Reviews

EmEm EmEm
Szia, Magyarország! Apr 06, 2015
Last November I had a free weekend, so I decided to visit my old friend in his hometown Budapest. We met on Sunday at the ERZSEBET HID (Bridge) and walked through VACI UTCA( Street), over DEAK FERENC Street til SZENT ISTVAN BAZILIKA. Near ERZSEBET TER(Square), in the pedestrian street I couldn't resist not to take some photos of street stalls. I simply love this kind of "food exhibition". I didn't try anything of it, hardly had a chance to take photos because my impatient friend was calling me to hurry up to BUDAVAR.

There he showed me after his words" the best place where to eat the famous Hungarian cake". When we entered the patisserie, all was full with tourists. He hurried up to take a place and I stopped for a moment to take a photo of the cake through the glass. It was my last chance to see it there, the next moment when he ordered, it was sold out. The waitress suggested another kind of cake, but he didn't want it. We went to another patisserie of the same owner up to the hill to a square where the Matthias Church( earlier the city's main mosque) was. On the left is a little street and the shop is on the right in it. Tables in and outside of the patisserie were already taken, and he stood there waiting for a chance to sit. I did not want to wait for the cake we have the same in my country, so I told him to call me by phone when he got the table and I left to the Fisherman's Bastion. Leter he came to me carring two pieces of the cake on a paper with plastic spoons! On our way back to Pest through the same street with the patisserie this time there was many free places to sit.

I wanted also to visit NAGY VASARCSAMOK( the Old Market) near the Liberty Bridge, but it was unfortunately closed, they don't work on Sundays! What a misfortune!

Tomorrow I went to ARENA PLAZA near KELETI Railway Station to spend some hours before going back to my country. All shops were opened, but there were almost no visitors. Some Arabic women were ordering fish in NORDSEE and others were taking their meal in MEVLANA KEBAB. I passed through TESCO supermarket noticing the same Hungarian food we have in my country and almost the same prices. I took my Vienna Coffee in COFFEE SHOP COMPANY before departure.

P.S. Since this article is about food in Hungary, I have to mention a scenery I saw in a street in Pest next to the souvenir stalls. A poorly dressed woman was knelling touching with her forehead the cold ground, covering her face with arms in begging position and I could only recognize hands of an old woman. The cards of saints were around her and she was not saying a word. I was surprised and felt very sorry for her. I wonder that in the 21st century in EU there is still beggary and poverty like in the Middle Ages!
busy chef
red paprika everywhere
forget diet, no taste without fat
Ils1976 says:
No I definitely can't wait! :D
Posted on: Feb 27, 2015
EmEm says:
Ils, this is an autumn edition, :D
In May there will be maybe cherries and other light food. It will be interesting to read about your new adventure.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2015
Ils1976 says:
It seems I missed out on this feature ... love it and can't wait till I see the place myself in May! :D
Posted on: Feb 26, 2015