Budapest Roma

www.fokus.name - (514) 893-1857

Budapest Roma Montreal Reviews

mav3n mav3n
Quaint Hungary Restaurant with homestyle warm environment. Sep 08, 2012
I was following the GPS on my phone to go to a well rated cafe that served crepes and such when I walked by a homey little cafe with an incredible aroma wafting out the open door. I glanced at their 9 item menu and continued to my destination. Upon arriving at 173 Duluth E. the creperia I was searching for did not exist. So I stopped by the Venezuelan cafe but it was overflowing with people.

I walked back to the Budapest Roma and was having a closer look when 'mama' came out and lured me in with the promise of freshly homemade Chou farci or stuffed cabbage. The instant I walked in 'Steve' and 'Mama' made me feel right at home. The soupe du jour was a simple canneline bean and light tomato with mild spicing and a basket of bread.

Unfortunately I did not bring my own bottle of wine but the conversation was warm and friendly and more than anything, genuine.

The Chou farci came out completely unpretentious and looked like something my grandmother would have cooked, (if she was Hungarian). The pork, rice, and spices stuffed/wrapped in the cabbage leaves was fantastic. The cabbage and onions cooked down with crispy chunks of pork roast ends that filled the remainder of the plate was simple but utterly satisfying.

The only let down was dessert. A Hungarian restaurant should have a Hungarian dessert, not a crepe. The crepe prepared was fair, but what I really wanted was somloi galusk or Dobosh torte or the like.

All said and done, before I left, I felt like part of the family, and was departing smiling and giving hugs like a close distant relative that I wouldn't see again for some time.

Check Montreal Hotel Deals