Buck Island Reef National Monument

Saint Croix, United States Virgin Islands

Buck Island Reef National Monument Saint Croix Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
USA's only underwater national park Apr 03, 2010
The ONLY reason I'm putting this as #2 on my list is because the overall experience of Eli's tour edged out the crowded experience we had for Buck Island. The actual snorkeling experience was equally as good. But hey, they don't let me do "ties" on here.

When I did my pre-cruise planning, I read somewhere that only certain tour guides were allowed near Buck Island and the reef, so we booked a ship trip. Not true. The next time we go, I will go at it on my own. There are many tour guides that will take you out. My reason for putting "free" is because the actual reef is free, it's the guide and the boat ride out there that costs. Each guide has different prices, but none were unreasonable. You can choose a full day in port, or a part day from many of the tour guides.

All I can say is WOW to the experience. We were the first tour of the day, so we saw a good amount of marine life. It was early springtime and we saw barracuda, squirrelfish, anenomes, turtles, parrotfish, sea stars, grouper, jacks, HUGE urchins, lobster... I could go on and on.

The coral, while not as colorful as Belize, was plentiful and beautiful.

Probably my favorite part of the trip was the National Park informational signs on the bottom of the Caribbean. Diving to read information about fish was fun and unique. Being the first, there was sediment on the signs. The guide let me help brush them off. Gloves needed next time.

The US Park System sells these little passports where you can get a stamp at each US park. Dan bought me one AFTER this trip. Now I have to go back to get my stamp. HOORAY!
National Park informational sign
Buck Island is beautiful!
My second graders like this pictur…

Check Saint Croix Hotel Deals