Brunei Agro-Technology Park

Brunei Agro-Technology Park Bandar Seri Begawan Reviews

borneonikieta borneoni…
Brunei own Botanical Garden Jan 07, 2014
Brunei Agro-Technology Park

The green landscape of Brunei Darussalam has recently been embellished with the inauguration of a botanical garden called The Brunei Agro-Technology Park (Brunei ATP). Located in the Bandar Seri Begawan, the 500-hectares project that used to be a farm ran by a company called McFarm (yeah cheesy..no pun intended there) is the sultanate’s latest effort in turning itself into “a major international player in Islamic market” of the globe.

The first phase of the park, which I prefer to call “The Brunei Botanical Garden” as it sounds a lot more appealing, was officially opened last year to the public and has recently become a big hit among joggers and landscape enthusiasts due to its decent footpath that stretches all around the park running past small animal farms, greenhouses and beautiful manmade landscapes.

While the park is still not in its full completion, its first phase is already worth the visit although a lot of more facilities need to be provided for visitors there. Entrance is free (at the moment) and there is also buggy service that takes visitors around the park though I wish the service also came with a tour guide service to explain more about the place.

The main focus of the park is the greenhouse that grows flowers normally grown in cooler parts of the world. Roses, tulips and other types of four-season floras flourish in the air-conditioned glasshouses filling them with bursts of vibrant colors. There were also vegetables and fruits in there but I didn’t see any crops during my visit last December but I do hope to see if they would be able to grow strawberries there. I bought some flowers just to see how long they could survive under my care. Sadly enough, despite me keeping them indoor (in my bathroom to be exact), the flowers less than a month after I bought them.

The animal farms feature different types of animals that are not native to the country such as ostriches and deer. While this might not be a fascination to most adults, children who go to the park seem to enjoy looking at the animals from a safe distance. Mind you though, this is not a zoo so exotic animals such as tigers and bears will be never land here.

While there were no children playground visible in the park, there were interesting structures and recreational areas that feature different types of theme. The nearest one to the entrance (and the only one that I have been to during my last visit) was a sturdy wooden structure complete with sitting areas, huts and bridges that you can walk on decorated with different types of imported plants from Japan and other countries with similar climates. My young nephews and niece actually enjoyed playing around this area challenging each other to walk over the wooden bridge with grill flooring hanging a few metres above the ground.

There were no eatery inside the park and I think the park management does not allow people to bring any food or pets there. Lucky for us, the ice-cream truck turned up about the same time we exited the park so we got to enjoy some vanilla and chocolate ice-cream in the hot day.

As I drove to this place myself, I am not sure if there is any public bus that goes to the park. There is a useful link that can help you to get there >> http://www.anakpanyu.com/2008/02/mcfarm-location.html
I forgot what I was trying to take…
Ostrich .. somewhere under the hut
One of the landscapes built in the…
borneonikieta says: